Stainless or blued??

rooster

Stainless

Stainless

Stainless

Yep 3 stainless rifles had blued rifles but never again, OK for Posing with, but for a working rifle go stainless if you want a black finish then get the stainless rifle Du-coated and you have the best of both worlds, like Cols 6-47 Dasher.

Best rgds

B-b

Stainless

Stainless

Stainless

Yep 3 stainless rifles had blued rifles but never again, OK for Posing with, but for a working rifle go stainless if you want a black finish then get the stainless rifle Du-coated and you have the best of both worlds, like Cols 6-47 Dasher.

Best rgds

B-b

6mm hot - ;)

Read the duracoat review and it looks great stuff but whats the point of paying extra for a stainless rifle and then getting it duracoated, does the duracoat not work on a blued rifle?

The inside of the barrel and action will still rust, yes you could have the blued rifle du-coat.

Sorry Col, 6mm Hot. Nice rifle by the way. ;)

Best rgds

B-b

Read the duracoat review and it looks great stuff but whats the point of paying extra for a stainless rifle and then getting it duracoated, does the duracoat not work on a blued rifle?

Stainless steel is bright and shiney and may catch a glint of sun or generaly stand out more than a dark coloured barrel. So you would get the benifits of a stainless bore and the benifit of a matt colored exterrior.

Dave

Just wondered which you preferred and why, looking for a new rifle (308) and i had decided on stainless for ease of cleaning etc but the majority of guns i have looked at have been blued, just what stock the local RFds have in at the minute.

You asked the question and have had the replies, is there a problem with getting things coated - or an underlying agenda?

You asked the question and have had the replies, is there a problem with getting things coated - or an underlying agenda?

No problem at all? Like the look of the Duracoat as i said, just did not know the reasons for coating stainless that was all. I said in my intro i would be asking some stupid questions :blush: Very new to powder burners!

I like blued steel, and have owned some very nice stalking rifles (fancy wood stocks and polished blued actions etc) - however the singular problem with them is they are great to admire at home or in a glass fronted gun case (remember them)

BUT

as soon as you take them out into a forest or hill they get knocked, dinged and scratched, no matter how hard you try to keep them in decent order - unless of course one has a ghillie to carry the rifle in a slip and pass you it when its time to take the shot etc...

Stainless is corrosion resistant, but shines and reflects light easily - hence the coating.

You could wrap your barrel in tape and burlap, but the more practical alternative is coating be that whatever form you like - paint, gun kote, krylon or duracoat.

Practical finish for working guns really.

Thanks for the in depth answer. I understand that stainless is more practical but i had read elsewhere that it can still rust if not properly cared for and i thought stainless or blued would be the same when coated (never thought of the bore). For what its worth i am looking for a stainless/synthetic practical rifle, just all the local shops seem to have blued guns in!

cheers

Rooster, the stainless grade for guns is normally of the 400 series family so yes it can still rust to a certain extent.

The stainless most people think of like kitchen equipment is the 300 series which is better corrosion resistance.

Like anything it is a trade off depending on the properties required.

Have a look at,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

Have to say that the black finish on Steyr Mannlichers is very hard wearing and non reflective.

(The pro hunter and SSG series)

Rooster, the stainless grade for guns is normally of the 400 series family so yes it can still rust to a certain extent.

The stainless most people think of like kitchen equipment is the 300 series which is better corrosion resistance.

Like anything it is a trade off depending on the properties required.

Have a look at,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

I have several knives with 440c blades that are easily maintained, do not know if they would rust if left damp or not though. The stainless barrel is new to me just coming from air rifles where you have a choice of blued or blued! :blush: Ronin mentioned the steyr mannlichers finish is it similar to the finish on a Remmy PSS ?

Archived