Loading low-recoil practice rounds .375 H&H

lenteped

A mate (experienced big game shot) is going to Africa next year with a new .375 H&H. He wants to practice with new rifle without bruises. Can anyone load some rounds with reduced charge for him? All components supplied or paid for. I load but my press won't handle .375. I'd be grateful for advice.

I've no idea if my press will cope with that length of round, I doubt it, but just use Tail Boss and a bullet of your choice.

To get your load data, just fill the case completely up. Weigh it. Divide that weight by 10 and then multiply by 7 to get a 70% fill. Use that as the starting point and load up to max of about 90-95%.

You won't be able to over pressure the gun even with a 100% full but uncompressed load and a 300 grain bullet.

Compressed loads are not recommended as it is reported to cause irregular combustion of the propellant. This most likely due to the weak and doughnut shaped grains being crushed and broken up, so greatly increasing the surface area.

I have quite a few 38-55 bullet moulds, most plain base, but one is a custom mould that throws a 310 grain gas-checked bullet that would be suited to the .375 H&H if sized to .376-.377". It should be OK for speeds up to around 2,000 fps if hard cast.

Archived