6.5mm Creedmoor or 6mm Creedmoor?

MrCetrizine

I'm just about to put in a variation for a long range rifle.

I was going to get a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor but then I read that they are now doing it in 6mm Creedmoor too.

It's there anything more to the 6mm than higher velocity?

For someone wanting to start shooting at 1000 yards with the intention of eventually entering competitions of some kind, which would be the better choice?

Mr C, quite a tough call- the current choices of US Precision Rifle shooters are pretty well equal between the 6.5 and 6 versions of either the Lapua or CM case. They are not shooting to 1000y though,and recoil reduction etc is a factor for them- see Precision Rifle blog what the pro's use.

For 1000 set distance,wind is the issue-the 6.5 may have the edge for that. Neither will be competitive against the bigger 7s in wind.Some see a trade between velocity and BC;in the same capacity case and with comparably good bullet designs in both,it may well be pretty close. One indicator is how many 6-284s compete(d) compared to 6.5 284s-the preponderance was very clearly for the 6.5 version,when that set the bar.It does not now,of course,and the other 6.5 pair trail it a bit anyhow. Very few 6mms have had a sustained presence in 1000y competitions-except the smaller 6BR (and derivatives-accuracy and shootabiity in calm conditions are it's advantages).

Laurie has a first rate account in Target Shooter "6.5 mm Cartridges:an overview-part 2 covers 6.5x284 (and 6.5 swede) part 5 the 6.5CM.

Very little in it to say 600y between the three (260/x47L/CM....) as 6 or 6.5; for RPR to 1000 ...6.5 CM it is unlikely to be competing for top podium positions....the 7s currently rule (but not in RPR).

gbal

Well you aren't going to get a Super Seven in a 2.8" OAL mag to perform as well as a 6 etc

Come to think of it, I don't see where the OP even mentioned a 7!!!

My view: I met a US High Power shooter a few years ago who was shooting a T2K in 6.5XC, when we asked why he necked up, he said it was because he was sick of the barrel life.......

Both are very competent ballistically and for precision. The 6.5 is a bit better all-rounder as a general target rifle and will give longer barrel life (say 2,500-3,000 rounds depending on loadings and rate of fire compared to less than 2,000); the six will produce less recoil and at short ranges a flatter trajectory (why it's potentially superior for tactical competitions).

Factory brass and ammo will be much more widely available for the 6.5 version, but it should be a simple run through a 6mm Creedmoor full-length sizing die to re-form one to the other.

Think of the 6mm version as being a modernised .243 Winchester (just as the 6.5 is a modernised 260 Rem in many respects). If the 243 floats your boat, the Creedmoor will suit. The factory Ruger PR rifle though looks very attractive in its 6mm form with a heavier profile and longer barrel likely with 3,000 fps on offer.

If you've not viewed this, do so - you'll find it interesting and impressive

http://www.gunsandammo.com/tv/ruger-6mm-creedmoor-precision-rifle/

I'm not at all turned on by 'Blacktical' rifles, but this video had me wanting one, like really badly!

Archived