Accuracy meaning.

Beardog

Hello

New to the forum. Looks very interesting. I've been shooting for many years but im thinking of getting a dedicated short range (300y) varmint cal.

I hope you don't mind me posting here, seemed suitable. I've been look at the posts regarding .204 cal. I'm in the market for a .204 and have been thinking of the Rem 700, T3x or Sako 85. In terms of accuracy and consistency, how do people think they fair against each other in the .204 cal. Some of the entries on posts here have mentioned there rifle is very accurate, but what are you calling accurate? I'd personally call a rifle accurate if still gets MOA or sub MOA groups down range beyond one hundred yards. I've never shot a rifle that didn't get 1MOA group at 100y, unless it was dirty, broken or I didn't do my part. Again I personally think most modern rifles are very good these days, so I'm looking for that extra edge.

Many thanks

I have had a Sako 85,with a 20" varmint barrel,for nearly a year. It was very easy to develop a load for. I use Hornady brass(would splash out on Lapua next time) Vhit n130 and Fed 205 primers and at 100 with a 5 shot group,usually only 3or 4 entry holes are visible and I'm a $#it shot. Treat yourself.

Beardog,the 204 Ruger is an excellent 300y varmint rifleFor UK,one of the very best.No fuss available too.

Here's how it goes (SAAMI commercial ammo-so comparisons fair and replicable)24" barrel drop drift 10mph wind:

Hornady 32 g Vmax BC .210 100y +.6/1 200y 0/4.1 300y 4.1/9.8 (400y 13.1/18.7) retained energy at 300y 512ftlb

Hornady 40g Vmax BC .275 100y +.7/.8 200 0/3.3 300 4.3/7.8 (400 13.2/14.7) retained energy at 300y 625 ft lb

For 'UK' varmints that is hard to beat,though the likes of 22/250 will add more energy (which isn't needed).

It is about as good as itgets realistically to 300 for drop/drift....you need exotica to trim theae inches even a little-pointless.

Problem comes when drift srarts to increase-almost every shooter makes wind errors-esp 400y away,and a small error-let's saay 2mph-means an extra 3 inches onto all the other bullet dispersing factors-a miss on its own for crows....

Accuracy (what the shooter squeezes out,with help from good scopes/trigger/etc) needs to be better than 1moa-the precision (intrinsic performance of rifle and ammo really needs to be 1/2 ammo ). Many rifles are so capable,including some factory ones.

On average,Tikka/Sako probably do a bit bettter than most others in the upper mid range category,but there are plenty who will claim their rifle is as good. Tikka currently are on a good run with their varmint grades.

Some feel the need to upgrade basic stocks,much less so for Sakos,but factor in possible upgrades if you are not happy with out of box specs.(it's the barrel that really matters,of course).

Enjoy

gbal

• 1 month later...

Beardog, i wouldn't take too much notice of "quoted hornady performance" figures for the 204, in "reality" the BC and velocities "quoted" are lower. I know a few chaps who have struggled to get anywhere near Hornady's figures and they have found the BC of the various bullets to be slightly misleading..

Regards

Archived