I'm on the look out for a new scope for my ppc was considering a leupold or S&B. I have always believed with optics you get what you pay for. However was at a 300 yd shoot at the weekend and a few people were talking about mtc viper scopes, www.mtcoptics.co.uk the guy who won the light gun class was using one on a t3 varmint 6.5x55.

It certainly looked the part but I didn't get a chance to look through it.

Any opinions?

Dave

If shooting at night a lot then Luepold are not that hot image wise in the dark.

It seems a shame not to put a top flight scope on what is arguably the most accurate cartridge in the world under 300 yards but value is where you find it these days.

A

MTC are good scopes for rimmies but i wouldnt trust one on a centre fire. the glass just isnt that good for long range shooting. I have one on my hmr, the rets are quite thick.

If shooting at night a lot then Luepold are not that hot image wise in the dark.

It seems a shame not to put a top flight scope on what is arguably the most accurate cartridge in the world under 300 yards but value is where you find it these days.

A

image wise i have to disagree i have a leupold and regularly take shot to 400 yards on foxy......

So i have to disagree with you i'm afraid. :lol:

As above. i use Mk4's and have shot a few foxes recently and the mk4 works reay well. the only prob is the ret. but then thats why i buy ill ret solves the problem..

Fine ret for target and day shooting but when lamping flick on the illuminated ret and bobs your aunty!

Can't comment on the Leupold at night, not had the oppertunity to try mine under the lamp yet.

The MTC simply won't hold a candle to glass such as the S&B, I own a 4-16x50 Viper and used to have it on my .223. Longest shot I took with it at night was 155 yards. Can't say as I found the reticle too thick for night shooting to be honest.

Usual suspects apply S&B, Nightforce, Zeiss, Swarovski & Kahles.

Everyones got different opinions on them all.

Best advice to you, if you can arrange it and it's not easy, is to find out who has what scope and see will they let you look through them at night. That way you will find out what best suits your own eyes.

Edit, I just seen you're in Ireland. You're more than welcome to come and have a look through my Nightforce 5.5-22x56, Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x50 and MTC Viper 4-16x50 if you're near me :lol:

what about a zeiss conquest 6x20x50. super glass and less then half the price of the swarovski and s&b scopes. this is what im getting next. plus there are loads of crosshairs to pick from im just going for standard z-plex

what about a zeiss conquest 6x20x50. super glass and less then half the price of the swarovski and s&b scopes. this is what im getting next. plus there are loads of crosshairs to pick from im just going for standard z-plex

Foxer, I was thinking of that one myself.

where will you get one from? at what price?

Are there any webshops still selling from USA to Europe?

I'd also go for z-plex.

edi

I `ve got a 4-14x56 merlin on my .223. Dont know how the reticlue compares to the mtc, but it seems very fine. Been pushing out the range a bit and had a 270yd rabbit the other evening with no problems. Wound down to 4x for lamping it does whats asked of it. Good clarity. Got merlins on my .22lr and hmr and find them excellent value for money. I was at first dubious of its suitability for centrefire but its got good repeatable turrets and appears to have no shortcommings.

last time i checked opticsworld where shipping to ireland, the conquest is a well made scope with excellent clarity..........to the door cost a friend of mine around the 600 mark delivered........and once the export licence is granted it lasts three years, you can ship the same scope with the same reticule, and use the same export licence.............good luck

image wise i have to disagree i have a leupold and regularly take shot to 400 yards on foxy......

So i have to disagree with you i'm afraid. :lol:

That's no problem.

Given decent target illumination or daylight then Luepold is perfectly fine, I have a VX3 for what its worth, never had a minutes problem with it but when looking for a spooky fox out of a beam it can be a pain.

A couple of years ago I with a friend from this site roughly optically compared different makes of scope.

About 9.45pm one July night its getting dark, 100 yards away there is an old wooden shed, boards were cresoted maybe 30 years ago but are still pretty black.

Imagine a fox standing just this side of the boards, can you take the shot assuming it is safe?.

First up was my Vx3 4x14x40, light plex, reticule vanished against the background. Next my friends new LRT, again the ret had gone making a shot impossable. Next up my Swaro PVS 6x24x50 light plex, just about possable to take a shot. Last my little 3x9x36 Ziess with Z-Plex ret. this easily allowed the shot even when wound up to 7x.

So optically the little Ziess is indeed top banana, thing is it's the old Diavari C model now discontinued in Germany. But in any halfway decent light then Luepold performs just fine, they also have an excellent warrenty back up if it were ever needed. I have since compared the Swaro with a 12x42x56 NSX in similar conditions, I thought the NSX had a slight edge optically and of course it also has an illuminated reticule. If only Ziess would do a 6x24x50 (or 42!!) with a target turret in their German built Dia-tel range, It will come one day, I see they have just introduced a multibar reticule from the Conquest range into the German range.

Suffice to say that I am putting an NSX on my new toy and will shortly be selling the VX3. Nothing wrong with it but it just does not compare with the others IMHO. All my scope have to perform at any time day or night and be capable of finding that fox in the darkness.

Be very carefull with Conquest, you have no warrenty back up at all from Ziess GB or Germany. It has to go back to the US with all that that entails paperwork wise. A friend bought a grey import one maybe a year ago, it would not hold zero from the start. He had a nightmare of a time trying to get his money back.

A

That's no problem.

Given decent target illumination or daylight then Luepold is perfectly fine, I have a VX3 for what its worth, never had a minutes problem with it but when looking for a spooky fox out of a beam it can be a pain.

A couple of years ago I with a friend from this site roughly optically compared different makes of scope.

About 9.45pm one July night its getting dark, 100 yards away there is an old wooden shed, boards were cresoted maybe 30 years ago but are still pretty black.

Imagine a fox standing just this side of the boards, can you take the shot assuming it is safe?.

First up was my Vx3 4x14x40, light plex, reticule vanished against the background. Next my friends new LRT, again the ret had gone making a shot impossable. Next up my Swaro PVS 6x24x50 light plex, just about possable to take a shot. Last my little 3x9x36 Ziess with Z-Plex ret. this easily allowed the shot even when wound up to 7x.

So optically the little Ziess is indeed top banana, thing is it's the old Diavari C model now discontinued in Germany. But in any halfway decent light then Luepold performs just fine, they also have an excellent warrenty back up if it were ever needed. I have since compared the Swaro with a 12x42x56 NSX in similar conditions, I thought the NSX had a slight edge optically and of course it also has an illuminated reticule. If only Ziess would do a 6x24x50 (or 42!!) with a target turret in their German built Dia-tel range, It will come one day, I see they have just introduced a multibar reticule from the Conquest range into the German range.

Suffice to say that I am putting an NSX on my new toy and will shortly be selling the VX3. Nothing wrong with it but it just does not compare with the others IMHO. All my scope have to perform at any time day or night and be capable of finding that fox in the darkness.

Be very carefull with Conquest, you have no warrenty back up at all from Ziess GB or Germany. It has to go back to the US with all that that entails paperwork wise. A friend bought a grey import one maybe a year ago, it would not hold zero from the start. He had a nightmare of a time trying to get his money back.

A

They do

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A80033F8E4/Conte...1256A7300451C05

i have to say that if that reticule disapears then that is due to poor choice of reticule and not low light level of the scope......i have a leupold 6.5x20x50 LR?T M1, And honestly i cant fault it, for either stalking or lamping foxy, i have taken them to around 430 yards at night on the lamp with two witnesses, i can't remember the exact range as it was last year..........but as you say everyone to there own..........for the money if on a budget zesis conquest every time, you simply won't get a better scope for the money............. :D

Foxer, I was thinking of that one myself.

where will you get one from? at what price?

Are there any webshops still selling from USA to Europe?

I'd also go for z-plex.

edi

im just waiting for a guy to get back to me mate. he mite be selling me his zeiss as he dont use the rifle it is on that much.

and on his other rifles he has swarovski and a s&b scope so no need for his zeiss.

the best price i have seen it is here http://www.theriflescopestore.com/zeisssco...CFQpPQgodID3jTg

but a guy i got my jewell trigger off said he will get me a better price then that on it. i will buy from the usa if i have to but i dont mind paying abit more to the guy here in england as i dont have the wait then for it :D

im just waiting for a guy to get back to me mate. he mite be selling me his zeiss as he dont use the rifle it is on that much.

and on his other rifles he has swarovski and a s&b scope so no need for his zeiss.

the best price i have seen it is here http://www.theriflescopestore.com/zeisssco...CFQpPQgodID3jTg

but a guy i got my jewell trigger off said he will get me a better price then that on it. i will buy from the usa if i have to but i dont mind paying abit more to the guy here in england as i dont have the wait then for it :D

Thanks,

a friend of mine is doing a bit of shooting in canada in November, he could possibly bring one back for me.

or I could bring one back when I go over to Texas at Christmas but I'm not sure if I can just toss it in my

luggage???

If you come across a spare one in the meantime let me know.

edi

Guest varmartin

edi.....I returned from Florida end of June and had a new Loop in my hand luggage...went through customs and the X ray machine...did not bat an eyelid....

I think you will find it a trouble free exercise, as long as its not a `mill dot ` scope....

Thanks,

a friend of mine is doing a bit of shooting in canada in November, he could possibly bring one back for me.

or I could bring one back when I go over to Texas at Christmas but I'm not sure if I can just toss it in my

luggage???

If you come across a spare one in the meantime let me know.

edi

you will be ok mate. i have got stuff in canada when i went a couple of years back and came back ok with it. they didnt say anything to me

Archived