Quick load set up Question

FGYT

I've finally given in and bought Quick load which for me as a shooter is complete over kill. But for me as a nerdy geeky engineer type is fantastic

I've measured up my current loads and bullet to get the figures right ie OAL and checked a few

Now for water volume

Most say measure a fired case

But at the bottom of this link on tips it says if you resize then measure a sized case

http://www.6mmbr.com/quickload.html

" For initial fire-forming loads, use the 37.80 default figure. After that, measure the ACTUAL volume of your cases as they are actually loaded. Thus, measure the fired case (with fired primer) if you neck-size only. If you full-length size, then size a fired case (leaving the primer in place) and measure its capacity."

Is this correct or just an old way and as fired cases are now best regardless of neck or full length sizing

ATB

Duncan

Ignore, see later post.

As per the QuickLOAD manual (page 41)...

For calculations with low-pressure cartridges (most pistol, revolver and black-powder era rifle
cartridges) use case dimensions from a resized case. For high-pressure cartridges, use
dimensions from a fired case.

For user information only, with bottleneck cases, case shoulder angle (included angle) is
calculated. Once these data fields are filled, all dimensions are permanently stored in the
cartridge data file.

I don't understand the logic of that (6mmBR.com) advice. Use the unsized / fireformed volume, or at least that's what I've always done. The intention is to get the actual combustion chamber volume or your brass in your rifle's chamber. As the case expands to obturate in the chamber pretty quickly after ignition - well before PMax is achieved otherwise you'd have major problems with backthrust on the bolt - its capacity is the one that applies in the firearm's operation.

However, in a well built sporting or target rifle, it's all a bit academic anyway as the difference between unsized and sized volumes is often small and there are other factors that often have a much greater effect on actual v predicted peak pressures. Think of QuickLOAD as a valuable time and barrel life saving tool that allows far more options in components choice than reloading manuals rather than as a 100% reliable predictive tool.

Sorry, wrong page, should have been page 64.

For most RIFLE CALIBERS and other guns using peak pressures above 30,000 psi (2,000
bars): use a case fired in the specific gun you are working with. Do not resize the case before
making the capacity measurement.

For most PISTOL CALIBERS and other guns using peak pressures below 30,000 psi (2,000
bars): use a resized case.

After obtaining the weight of a dry empty case (with used primer in place), fill the case with cold
water. Eliminate any air bubbles and bring water even to end of case neck. Reweigh water-filled
case. Subtract dry weight from water-filled weight. This gives case capacity in grains of water,
which is the standard unit of measure.

Archived