A MATE FROM WORK

nemasis243

I have a good mate in work who is always going on to me about his hornet, dont get me wrong theres nothing wrong with it but its the only gun he has ever had , he hasnt even had an air rifle,

He got the hornet for shooting foxes on his uncles farm and is very proud that he has shot 11 foxes there over the last 3years,

He knows that I am well into all sorts when it comes to shooting and have loaded some ammo for him as I have a hornet on my ticket .

He come into work today and he said that ammo you loaded ,groups like a dream I can get 1/2" at 50yrds :D ,

When I said to him why not group at a 100yrds , his reply was will it go that far, I thought he was having a laugh,but he was serious :P .

I thought to my self ,who the hell is handing out these FAC,s, after a conversation about the hornet round and what it can do , he then started asking about what distance could I shoot a rabbit at , my reply being my furthest has been 672yrds, he started laughing and started calling me a bullshit artist.

I said right I will pick you up tonight and I am gonna open your F88888G eyes matey B) ,

So after work I picked him up and we set off down to a small farm not to far away where I knew I could get around the 500yrd shot,

I called at the farm house and spoke to the farmer who informed me that the cattle were down where I wanted to go so I had one other option so we went to that spot.

A thin field which went down into a valley and on the other side an old quarry now overgrown with gourse, we should see a bunny about here I thought.

I set up the 6MMBR and got the range finder out , the PDA/Exbal , and my bunny rest bag, my mate asking all questions about all the toys.

I had a look through the binos and sitting out in a clearing in the middle of the bushes were a few rabbits, got the range finder showed him how to use it and did my calculations .

Dialled the scope and gave my mate the binos and said watch , I got down behind the gun and focused the scope which was set on 20mag, I saw a nice rabbit on its own in the corner , pointed it out to my mate and in a few seconds sqeezed off a shot, The head exploded,but the rabbit hardley moved :P .

He said you missed , I said no its through the head,

Well you can imagine the swearing that took place, right then I will shoot another F*****R, told him which one I was going for and bang, the rabbit went up in the air and did a lovely summersolt :P , F*******G Hell my mate remarked, we had a laugh and a joke and you could see he wanted to see it again, we waited for about 10mins and another rabbit popped out along side the first one I had shot, Have a go I said but he declined , he reckoned it would be a waste of ammo, I tried to get him to shoot but he wouldnt, go on he said do it again , so I settled down again and sqeezed off , again the rabbit went up in the air , an amazing site :lol: .

We packed the gear away and I drove round the other side of the Valley and we went down to have a look at the results, He couldnt believe what he saw, 3rabbits all head shot the first one as I said had no head at all, I was even chuffed to think that I can confidentley take head shots on rabbits at this kind of distance of 346yrds.

19082008193.jpg

My mate didnt stop talking all the way back to his house ,he even rang me up when I got home , I am gonna take an article from the Varmint Hunter magazine for him to read tomorrow of a guy shooting P/Dogs at 2mile, now thats a shot. :o

It just goes to show how people well underestimate the capabilties of a rifle.

I think it good to open peoples eyes if nothing else to show how lethal a firearm can be if used carelessly.

Dave

The K Hornet also has a lot of reach in the right hands. I am aware of a Hare shot at a distance so far that I will not mention for fear of being ridiculed. In the winter of 1963, to 18 shots to get the drop/drift right, bullets were seen impacting in the snow. Guy measured it with a surveyors tape. I did not see it myself ( I was only 10 !!) but the guy has shown me where it was, he fired from a bench he built in his upstairs workshop.

A

Archived