Lee bullet seaters and .308 Sierra Tipped Matchking 175 tips...

Will_

I was wondering if anyone knows if the Lee .308 bullet seater will seat Sierra Tipped Matchking 175s properly ie. without pressing those pretty green tips. :D
As some know, I use a classic Lee Loader (the hit with a hammer type) for hand loading, but the seater is very basic.
So I'm thinking of buying a Lee hand press & a bullet seater. (I'm keen to stick with Lee if it works because they're cheap.)

Thanks for any advice...

Will

• 1 month later...

I would say go carefully. I have used a 308 lee seater with Scenars and the seating die seems to push on the tip rather than further down the ogive. Some people suggest opening it up with a drill.

I guess that it would be the same or worse for a tipped projectile! Its easy enough to see if you strip the die down and try the seater plug over the tip of a bullet. However rather than take a drill to mine I purchased a forster micrometer seater (at great expense) the seater definitely picks up on the ogive but so far the runout is worse than with the Lee seater!! I will be having words with Forster!

Archived