HARD WORK

nemasis243

I have been doing the vermin on a certain piece of land for a while , with a lot of success, I had a phone call from a friend who has a a 223 but says he never shoots at night with it :wub: , to go and see if we could pick off a charlie or two.I invited Young1982 to come down and have a spin with us , but unfortunately he never had the oppotunity to shoot :wub: ,

We set off round one estate, where up till now I was supposed to be the only one lamping foxes there but as things proved I am not. :D

Drove into a field that had been cut a few days ago ,as we entered I noticed land rover size tracks going into the field but thought nothing of it ,started lamping and a pair of eyes appeared for about 3seconds then gone , it was a charlie but he didnt like the light, strange I thought as I havent missed anything to make it lamp shy, but thought no more of it.

Into another field and about 250yrds another pair of eyes ,it couldnt have been the same one as we had moved about half a mile to where this one was ,

The same thing again blinked and gone, I said to young1982, who was kindly lamping for me , they have had a go at these mate.

He replied that a friend of his , who lives on the boundry of the estate , had seen a lamp a few nights before, then the penny dropped, so i asked the question " have been out round here mate" to my mate who was driving , the reply was a humble "NO". Which was funny as all the fields we drove round we were following ,what seemed to be our own tracks,you dont have to a genius to work it out ,do you :D

I knew then that on this piece of land I was in for a tricky night .

Two more charlies we saw , all doing the same thing and at which time i was starting to think that he had called me to try and sort this F**K up out.

We left the area and moved onto a nother piece of ground where I have permission and as we drove down a track Young1982 noticed a pair of eyes a fair way off, so I started calling on my hand and this fox come bolting in like it was in the Olympics,when it got to about 80yrds I shouted "OH!" and it holted side on to us and just looked in our direction , I sqeezed off and there was one almighty thack as the 58grn vmax from the 243 went in ,just behind the front shoulder,we carried on calling for a few minutes but nothing else showed.

16082008188.jpg

We moved back towards the first place we come from and as we appoached a place where we had a glint of a fox before Young1982 picked up the eyes again, the fox was sitting about 160yrds away in a rough piece of grass with a big silage clamp behind it, the fox kept bobbing its head up and down , now you see me,now you dont, as it popped up the next time I gave a small bark and it looked straight at me , and the 243 sent one right down between its snout.

I must say even the best plastic surgen in the world couldnt have put this back together.

17082008189.jpg

So it was time to start moving back to where we had set out from ,as we nearly got to our departure point I said " have a shine in there and there it was another charlie . We pulled up to the gate and without much calling this cahrlie was just comming straight down the light , at about 80yrds I shouted stop and it froze and yet again the 58grner went down its nose.

17082008190.jpg

All the foxes were good size Vixons all in good nick, and looked like they had been away from cubs for a while as the fur was clean and nothing had been pulling on them .

It can be very flustrating some times when your trying to a job professionally and you have to try and tidy up someone elses mess , but then I surpose on the other hand ,it must really piss them off shooting things that they have missed :D

Hi Andy ,

Good to talk to you again!!!!!

I see you have been busy again , nice one on taking Young1982 out for some more education!!!!

Cant see your pictures mate...................

All the best Captin............................. :D

RAY.................................................... :D :D

Showing up now on you original post Captin!!! :D :D

All the best...................

RAY..................................... :wub::D

Hi Andy

Great result under the circumstances, good experience for Young1982, even without taking a shot ;);)

Makes you wish people would be honest with you, at least then you the full picture and maybe try a different approach.

Wouldn't want to be a fox round your way :) I've been toying with the idea of the 58g V maxes in the 6mm/284, how easy did you find it to get them to shoot ???

Cheers Steve

Hi Andy

Great result under the circumstances, good experience for Young1982, even without taking a shot ;);)

Makes you wish people would be honest with you, at least then you the full picture and maybe try a different approach.

Wouldn't want to be a fox round your way :) I've been toying with the idea of the 58g V maxes in the 6mm/284, how easy did you find it to get them to shoot ???

Cheers Steve

6MM/284 now thats a new smokepole I aint heard of . As for the 58grners ,I have tried all makes /wieghts / types and for what I do on foxes they work the best, I use 43grns Vit 140 , fed match primers, Lap brass and sit them at 2.602" col. thier running at 3700, thier flat and the test results I have done they come out fantastic.

As for getting them to shoot ,i have set up other 243 rifles for guys and as long as the twist is ok , you can get great results, there was only one gun I failed with , that was a 243 sako 75 but when Dasherman had a look with the bore scope it was shagged,

I know Ray (Varminter )uses them in his 6ppc and he gets amazing results in that as well.

I would think they would be running at a fair speed out of a 284 , what do you recon they will do?

cheers Andy

Hi Andy

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve , hope you do not mind me answering to your question as well....

I have been using the 58 V-maxs in the 6PPC for quite a while now and i have found them to be very accurate and devistating on varmints!!!!!

When i have tested them back to back with the 65 V-maxs i found the 58s would group tighter every time!!!

Used the 58 V-max out to 500yds in the PPC and am very pleased with the performance!!!!

I would of thought with a hot rod like the 6 - 284 you would be better running the high BC bullets like the 105 A-max and Berger 105 in a 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 twister for better wind and down range performance!!!

I ran the 105 A-max at 3150 fps in a 243 ackley with a 1 in 9 twist and it was a great performer on Varmints!!

As always test to see what the rifle likes best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best............................

RAY......................................... :D;)

I think I cursed us last night when I said to Andy on the way to the first field that we'd see loads of foxes about, anyway I really enjoyed myself and thats what its all about although my arms been aching today from holding the lamp up for nearly 4 hours. :)

All I can say is that the foxes round here don't like the vmax up um, its like what Andy said to me after the first shot " nothing smacks like a vmax" ;)

All I can say is that the foxes round here don't like the vmax up um, its like what Andy said to me after the first shot " nothing smacks like a vmax" ;)

I think a bit of Ray has rubbed off there :);)

Cheers

Dave

I think a bit of Ray has rubbed off there :D:D

Cheers

Dave

I think so too Captin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :);) ;) ;)

All the best...........................

RAY........................................... :D;)

Ah Captain I must say the quote was from your self :D ,

along with the other one I will always remember you for __" I WISH I HAD BROUGHT MY WELLIES ,THAT SHEEP KICKED LIKE A MULE" :);););)

Ah Captain I must say the quote was from your self :D ,

along with the other one I will always remember you for __" I WISH I HAD BROUGHT MY WELLIES ,THAT SHEEP KICKED LIKE A MULE" :);););)

Thing was Andy , its not my fault because i never knew that some of the donkeys was white up in Wales - i always thought they was brown in colour!!!! :D;):D

All the best Captin..........................

RAY.................................................. :D;)

You know what the problem is :D you forgot your velcro waders :D

Never mind just remember to bring them with you in November and you can have another go :)

Cheers

Dave

Dont worry Dave ,

This time i shall bring me waders so they will definitely not get away!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

All the best.......................

RAY.......................................... :D;)

6MM/284 now thats a new smokepole I aint heard of .

I would think they would be running at a fair speed out of a 284 , what do you recon they will do?

cheers Andy

Hi Andy

Currently I'm running a 68g Barts at 4000 fps, have seen the chrony hit 4200 fps with the Barts, but accuracy was up to what I wanted - Bug holes ;);)

Hoping the 58's would be even flatter shooting, at least out to 300 yards which covers most of my requirements.

Hi Steve

I would of thought with a hot rod like the 6 - 284 you would be better running the high BC bullets like the 105 A-max and Berger 105 in a 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 twister for better wind and down range performance!!!

I ran the 105 A-max at 3150 fps in a 243 ackley with a 1 in 9 twist and it was a great performer on Varmints!

RAY.........................................

Hi Ray,

Unfortunately when I had the rifle built I opted for a 1:14 in my Top Gun phase, the need for speed !!! :);) Hindsight is a wonderful thing I really wish I had gone for a faster twist rate, but hey ho, you live and learn :D Hopefully

Cheers

Steve

4200 thats smoking I would to see the result when they hit ;)

As Ray said the 65 grners dont seem to group like the 58,s , at that kind of speed ultra flat ;) .

Keep me informed on how they go mate

cheers Andy :)

Hi Andy

Currently I'm running a 68g Barts at 4000 fps, have seen the chrony hit 4200 fps with the Barts, but accuracy was up to what I wanted - Bug holes ;):D

Hoping the 58's would be even flatter shooting, at least out to 300 yards which covers most of my requirements.

Hi Steve

I ran the 105 A-max at 3150 fps in a 243 ackley with a 1 in 9 twist and it was a great performer on Varmints!

RAY.........................................

Hi Ray,

Unfortunately when I had the rifle built I opted for a 1:14 in my Top Gun phase, the need for speed !!! :);) Hindsight is a wonderful thing I really wish I had gone for a faster twist rate, but hey ho, you live and learn :D Hopefully

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve ,

She sounds like a screemer mate!! , do you have any pictures of her?????

Please keep us informed on how you get on with the 58 V-max - if they do shoot well wait till you try them on varmints!!!! ;) ;)

All the best.........................

RAY...................................... ;):D

Guest varmartin

Hi Andy..

Very well done on sorting them foxes ;) ..what a result.

Young.....You must have done a good job as lamp man too. :)

Those 58`s sure do some damage, ;)

Archived