Lightweight versus heavy weight .223 rifles

Hi folks,

I hate this feeling, I know what's coming, money out of pocket. Don't know when, or how but it's bugging me...

I have my Remington VL SS since last August ('07). I like it, I'm happy with how it shoots. I'm not happy with what it weighs, especially after getting this irritating tendonitis I notice my shoulder complaining now when it never used to.

So..

I'm wondering, am I as well off making plans to do yet another rifle trade. There's that worrying and inherent risk a new or different rifle won't be a shooter.

I'm not stuck on the idea of a factory rifle either, semi suctom could be an idea, as long as the price was right. Again, just pondering the idea in my mind.

Leaving aside peppering prarie dogs and heating up the barrel. How do the heavy profile barrels compare to the light barrels accuracy wise?

This is a bit of an unformed topic really, as I've not settled the issue in my head yet.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments, reality checks?!

Edited ---- Using factory not handloaded ammo, as that's what I'm stuck with.

I'm in a similar boat as I love my Remy vs but its a lump for stalking.

Just get another lighter one as well you know it makes sense :D

Haha, in a perfect world :D Funny thing, I was just renewing my FAC there last week and the local cop was on his particular line with me. Huh? You have TWO rifles? How did you get TWO rifles? Did you not get questions back about that? Most people do...

Told him I must be a Model Citizen (am starting to have fun with him about it at this stage).

Swear to God, everytime I see him it's the same line :D

Thing is, only reason I have a .223 is for foxing so not much point in getting an extra one :D

I'm happy with the howa sporter 22" for foxing, much handier

than the 26" heavy barrel I had before. I also changed from 223 to

22-250. If you are ever down south drop in and have a pot.

I found no difference in accuracy. Best fox 356m

edi

Could be a trip down South to Cork (boy) arranged alright :yes: Never seen a Howa in the flesh.

22-250 has been floating around in my head and I did say while .223 does me here just fine if I ever changed again I'd give it a go.

John without changing rifle, lightweight stock might save you 500 grams .

Lob 4" off the barrel. maybe 200grams, zeiss conquest instead of nightforce, couple hundred grams.

Light weight mounts...

possibly lighter than a sporter with heavy stock and heavy scope.

edi

It sounds like your shoulder is dictating a need to go lighter.

A semi custom would allow you to use a light (maybe number 2) barrel on either the same action or a replacement from Remmy. Sako etc. As far as I was aware there was no real weight difference between CM and SS, funily enough I ordered one of each for my latest project. There is little point in fluting a thin barrel. A thin barrel will heat up faster so accuracy will start to drift after maybe 3 fast shots.

McM do a range of very lightweight stocks that will also help;

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-ultralight.php

I think that Peter Jackson is distributing them to the trade, you could buy direct from McM but six months plus waiting to save about £50, your choice.

I am afraid the scope would have to go excellent as it is it weighs 2 lbs. A big scope is not required for foxes if the optics are of top quality. A nice used Ziess would be just fine and would save a pound or more in weight. There are some perfectly adequate Ziess scopes for the job here that should not break the bank. Just no target turrets. Dont skimp on the mounts though.

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/shoptics.htm

The downside of the weight saving is increased recoil, loss of target in the scope when you pull the trigger etc. Moving down to a smaller caliber say a 221 Fireball if you dont reload or a custom 20 based on the PPC or Fireball case if you do (20PPC or 20 Vartarg) would help in this area. The 20 Vartarg can propel the 32 grain pills at 3600/3700 fps, ideal 250 yard fox round in a lightweight carry rifle. You should get to see the impact as well.

A

Hi John,

Get yourself a CZ527 American. Mine is in 223 Rem., weighs 8.5 pounds with 3-9x40 scope. Twist 1:12 in 21" floated barrel. Easy to carry and nice to shoot.

I cannot comment about factory ammo, handloads only. The rifle is accurate and consistent, the last three groups were all within 1". Plenty for foxing. I use 55 gn Hornady VMax @ 3150 fps.

Archived