My first proper night foxing

young1982

Some of you might remember that I posted a topic a while back asking for help in the form of a mentor, I was after someone I could go to with questions, and for help to help me take my shooting further. Well my call for help was answered by Nemasis243 (Andy) and after spending over 4 hours talking to him it was clear to me that Andy knows his stuff, and what I would be able to learn from him will prove invaluable in the future.

Anyways since that fateful Sunday we’ve become good mates, and the other Saturday night we went out for a shine with the lamp. It was on a local pheasant and partridge farm that have had a few sightings of foxes lately, the farmer wanted them taking care of and had given Andy a call. When we got there the farmer gave us the use of a quad which was handy as it gave us something to put all the kit in, once we had it all strapped down we walked to a corner of the farmyard where a fox had been spotted on a regular basis. It had been using an old track that just so happened to pass by where bales of silage were stored in the yard, the plan was to use them to give us a vantage point to wait for the fox to stroll by. So we climbed up and I got ready to take the shot when it presented it’s self, but as it turned out the fox was having none of it and not even the smell on a freshly bellied rabbit could draw it in, we’d been waiting for about 45mins with nothing happening so decided to move on and got on the quad and went off round the farm for a mooch.

Fox number 1 fell to a cracking shot from Andy using the .243 which connected with a vixen that I had in the beam of the lamp 100+ yards away, we left her where she lay as it was in a field with a monster of a bull which is known to be a bit temperamental and for that reason I didn’t fancy getting in with it.

Next it was my turn to have a shot with my .17hmr and I managed to pull off a shot to the engine room of a vixen at around 110 yards as she made her towards a hedge, it looked like she wasn’t going to stop but Andy gave a small squeak, she paused, and down she went.

post-4200-1218827638_thumb.jpg

We then came across a young cub in the headlights of the quad as we were driving to higher ground for a scan of the area, as I had my rifle out and on my back so I downed the bipod and took a shot off the front of the quad and dropped the little ginger fella with a shot to the head at around 50ish yards.

post-4200-1218827650_thumb.jpg

Foxes 4, 5 and 6 all fell from pin point shots at the hands of Andy resulting in nice bag for just a few hours lamping, one fox we were unable to retrieve as it was in the middle of a boggy marsh and you would of needed waders to go in and get to it. At around 12.30 we decided to call it a night and made our way to the car on the way we left the foxes near some pheasant pens so that the farmer could see our handy work the next morning.

post-4200-1218827611_thumb.jpg

Big thanks again to Andy for taking me out and showing me the ropes.

I’m looking forward to our next outing mate, by the way don't forget to bring my potatoes with you:lol: .

Sorry about the photo quality, I'll bring a camera next time.

Hi Young1982

Glad you enjoyed your 1st night's foxing, sounds like you've got the bug. :lol:;) Great shooting guys.

And from reading many of Andy's posts I'm sure you have landed on your feet when it comes to foxing and reloading.

Good luck buddy

Steve

Gethin great write up there mate ,I am glad you enjoyed yourself, there will be a lot more outings like that to come :lol:

It was great to meet someone who is also passionate about their shooting, you proved from the first shot you had on the rabbit at 80yrds that you were calm and very steady with the rifle in your hands, seeing as I asked you to head shoot it and head shoot it you did,cracking shot mate the same as the Vixon at 110yrds ;)

It was a pleasure mate cant wait for you to meet Dave(6mmBR) and have a look at some of the tools in his armory ;)

Hi Gethin a great write up hopefully the first of many.

Andy certainly knows the ropes when it comes to foxing and you'll learn a heap from him.

I'm sure we'll get to meet up soon and try some long range stuff.

Cheers

Dave

A very good writeup buddy!!!!! ;)

Glad you enjoyed yourself out with Andy , hes a great guy and always willing to share his knowledge ( even with a Cornishman - right on Captin :lol: ) so listen and learn mate , and enjoy a wealth of knowledge on hand to you!!!!!!!!!!

We are very fortunate on here to have such a wide spectrum of such knowledge in all aspects of the sport!!! ;)

All the best.......................

RAY............................................. :D:o

good write up mate and a great result for you,always good when someone is willing to help out so hope this the start of some good varminting for you

Archived