TURNED UP TRUMPS AT THE TURKEY FARM

nemasis243

I had been approached in the week to go back to a local poultry farm, they had their first lot of Turkeys delivered from their hatchery to the main pen area on Wednesday and after letting them settle in for a day or two ,it was time to see what was lurking about at night there.

I had asked two friends if they would like to come and have a shot, but 6MMBR and Young1982 were both busy ( big mistake there lads :lol: )

It is one of those farms where they dont scrimp on the old £ , I have a brand new Kawasaki Mule that is there any time I need it , what a bit of kit these things are :wub:

The Farm manager , who is a good shooting buddy usually drives me round at night as he knows where all the electric fences are situated on the site ,

So with my trusty 243 we set of at about 10.30. It wasnt long before we came across the first fox,in a field that had just been harvested of peas.

The foxes was mooching about in the corner of the field which was at the base of a huge bank , so backstop for the shot was no problem, it was 190yrds way and facing me ,stopping every 10 or 15 seconds to lift its head and have a look at what was going on ,so it was bipod open, resting on top of the roof and the next time the fox raised its head it was goodnight, the 58grn Vax making a big mess but a clean Kill :rolleyes:

When we drove up to the fox it was a Vixon but to my surprice I had never seen a coat like it , it had small white spots on it , it was fantastic to look at.

08082008177.jpg

08082008175.jpg

We carried on until we came to the main dumping area ,where they leave all the old bedding out of the chicken and turkey pens, standing on top of the mound was a nice fox ,but due to where he was I couldnt shoot,next thing the fox ran down to the back of the pile, so we drove round to get a better view and to see if we could get a shot.

To our amazement there were 3 sets of eyes looking at us , I said"start Left" the lamp went on the first fox and bang,then the second ,then the third ,

3charlies on the floor in under 10 seconds ,they wasnt far the furthest being 160 down to the closest at 130,

My Mate was laughing his head off, saying to me you must practice like F**K to be able to do that, (well I do fire the odd round off now and again :rolleyes: )

These 3foxes were all dog foxes and had been living very well looking at their fat stomachs, the next field we drove into I then shot 3cubs but we didnt even keep these for a picture as they were virtually bold with mange, did this little group a big favour , as we were driving back to put these 3foxes in a special container they use for dead animals ,a Vixon was walking down the trck towards us ,she in to about 30 yrds and then i dispatched her, she too was coverd in the same thing,its a bugger of an illness ,isnt it ;)

So we carried on and had a couple more and then decided to call it a night , we had 10 charlies ,with 4 of these being cubs.

I didnt have the scabbie cubs and vixon in the picture as it wasnt a very pretty site so here is a picture with the rest of the ones I have shot.

I must say that this farm as come up trumps every time for me and in the last 6 outings have shot 35 foxes ,11 being the most in one night here.WE seen many more that night but at the time they were on the nieghbours land so we couldnt shoot, but this is hopeflly going to be sorted.

Cheers Andy ;)

09082008179.jpg

Great shooting Andy thats a good haul to get rid of bet the poultry farmer was well chuffed,that first fox sure has a unusual pelt ,i think i would have skin'd it out myself,the one thing we havnt seen much mange up here only ever shot a couple

Guest northernchris

You can tell its that time of year again mate,very good shooting ;)

11 foxes in one nite is very good going,me and my lamping buddy had the same number the other nite giving us a total of 29 in the last 14 days for 4 outings,just waiting now for the rest of my ground to be cleared and hopefully will try and beat our best nite of 13 from a couple of years ago.

We have 2 chicken farms on our areas and they never fail to produce the goods.

Did think of taking the pelt off but if you look at the first picture and look at the snout it was in a big mess around here were I head shot it, it would of been a cracker wouldnt it , I have also sorts over the years , got one in a taxidermist that is being done , that thing is like a donkey and was very lucky cuz when I shot it with my 22/250 the bullet never exited, so its clean to do.

Hi Andy ,

Thats a helluva evening you had there buddy!!!!

Well done mate and a great writeup too!!!!!!!!!! ;):rolleyes:

I bet your mate is well happy with the work you have been doing for him!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::rolleyes:

All the best......................

RAY.......................................... ;):wub:

A great night out and a bit of the old speed shooting. God knows what you'd be like if we could still have AR 15's ;)

Sorry I missed out on last night but after my trip up to see Dasherman yesterday I was knackered.

Speak to you soon

Dave

Archived