what the best off the bonnet bag to use

all my shots when foxing are taken off the bonnet of my Hi Lux not being flat sometimes it can cause problems also if its had a polish it becomes very slippy,you must have all been there drive the truck into what you think is the righr angle and then you find your bi pod is hald way down the bonnet

anyway Ive been thinking of taking the bipos of and using a fring bag of some sort,obviously it would noy have to be too heavy as it will have to be placed on the bonnet eveytime a shot is taken

I have tried to call Mr shooting bags himself for advice a few times but no reply and no returned call

all my shots when foxing are taken off the bonnet of my Hi Lux not being flat sometimes it can cause problems also if its had a polish it becomes very slippy,you must have all been there drive the truck into what you think is the righr angle and then you find your bi pod is hald way down the bonnet

anyway Ive been thinking of taking the bipos of and using a fring bag of some sort,obviously it would noy have to be too heavy as it will have to be placed on the bonnet eveytime a shot is taken

I have tried to call Mr shooting bags himself for advice a few times but no reply and no returned call

Funky,

You phoned my mobile 3 times straight after I deleted one of your posts after you called Tim to see if it your post would cause a problem. :D . That is the reason I did not take your call. You could have called the office number at the time and anyone would have given you advice on shooting bags. I do believe however that you have seen the bags on a number of occasions and it is not rocket science wether to use a bag or not.

If you would like any more information about bags you are more than welcome to email or PM me and I will give you as much information as you require.

I did phone your office FIRST the lady told me to call your mobile so I did,sorry but i dont know where you get off thinking that a post deletion was that important Ive got used to you lot baby sitting me and only allowing what you personally like,but that isnt the issue

never mind eh,I know now you dont want my business so I will ask else where,just shows how wrong your can be about someone,I didnt realise you were an internet mail order only company as to PM or e mail sorry but Iam old school and like the personal touch when trying to buy something,please accept my appoloies for bothering you

so if anyone can point me in the right direction or advice me on what is suitable for my needs

thanks in advance

Like I said, you could have asked me when you were at the Game Fair last year or when you last phoned me asking for advice why your 7mm wouldn't shoot.

Anyway, you have just shot a rabbit at 492 yards off your bonnet so you must have your rifle sorted and doing something right with your bipod !

I use Garys medium bag, Disco /Defender bonnets are reasonably flat though. Yet to have a miss with it but have not used it that much. Has a nice 195 yard exploding magpie with it a few weeks ago. A short Harris would be easier/faster to deploy though.

A

Guest northernchris

My double cab hilux bonnet is a pain to shoot off,i am just looking at making a shooting platform that drops on the bonnet with "suction cups" to have a level base to shoot off with either a bag or a bipod.

Funky that would help i am sure if you did go the "bag" route or stuck with the bipod.

Jamie

here is an old pic of a bag I won a from the site a few years ago, its great and works well of landrover bonnets.

Probably not suitable for the "jap" motors, they may be a bit shiny and curvy :D nothing that a bit of 120 grit wouldnt sort though.......if you have a landie it dont matter what you use they are pretty stable with bipod, bag or roll matt.

DSC00339.jpg

There is a non slip matt available from cheapo diy stores that works great on slippery surfaces :D:D

it may not be the best surport in the world but an old inner tube can be quick and useful to use .need to experiment with how much air to put in it and decide if you want to settle just the fore end or to balance front and rear of stock. small low profile types tend to work best ie as found on farm machinery. when you get the right pressure surprising how firm it can be.

I to now hav a similar problem the old fronty was just the right height with the bipod but now i have the navara things are a bit more awkward as the bonnet is heigher and with the bipod down it places the stock to high up in the shoulder due to me being a short arse so have to stand on toes,my thought was one of those magnetic flashing lights remove the light and use the base with a rear bag somehow fitted

Funky,

Have you tried the window bags. I bought one a few year back and since then have never shot of a bonnet when foxing. It is the best thing i have bought in many a year. Simply swing the motor around to be broad side and take it out the window. I tend to hold my rifle one handed and have the other arm under the butt and hold onto the steering wheel. Works a treat for me and have shot very good groups from it and a few 300 yards foxs at night too.

Just a thought.

Ads

I tried that ages ago mate but Iam a big chap so getting comfy to take the shot is the problem I have got a "solo rest" which hangs on the door I used to use but again found that if youy quarry moved you could get the right angle to take a shot and end up missing thats why I like the bonnet of the roof

Fair enough, im a lefty so shooting out the driver side is a doddle. Either wing mirror or the window bag. You could try the non slip matt that i have for the caravan awning floor. Sticks to a bonnet like glue and would probs stay there while you were driving around. Wont mark the paint either.

Ads

Guest varmartin
it may not be the best surport in the world but an old inner tube can be quick and useful to use .need to experiment with how much air to put in it and decide if you want to settle just the fore end or to balance front and rear of stock. small low profile types tend to work best ie as found on farm machinery. when you get the right pressure surprising how firm it can be.

Interesting.....I have an old spare tube here in my garage but its made by `Cheng Shun`...I feel this may be of to low a quality and possibly a little under inflated too.

Can you advise if its best to Buy one of those made by Pirelli with a Schrader valve or go with a down hill mountain bike tyre as they are a bit more resilient and use a Presta valve??

The bag shown in the earlier pic is exactly what I use but it cab be clumsey to deploy when you are holding a rifle as well. I also have a window rest, great for passenger side shots (I am RH) but shooting out of the drivers window with it is a nono. Just to close to it.

A

hi varmartin

any good quality tube should do if you think its a wind up get a old car tube and inflate it till it is not quite firm then stand it up and drop your rifle fore end into it like you would a filled bag the tube will displace round the fore end just like your bag would mini size tyres are the best then if you want you can shape it a little with duck tape or similar to stop it folding in the way of your scope big rear tractor tubes can be inflated and then shaped in a similar fashion for going on the faithful landy roof when lamping out of the back of a pickup also stops the scratching of your roof

If your going to use an inner tube bend the valve in to the centre and apply a wrap of tape to hold it so as not to scratch the paintwork :D

Archived