.222 seating depth problems

shrek

i have just started loading 222 for a mate and own a set of lee collet dies which work fine, however when it comes to seating the bullets even when its fully screwed up the die wont seat the bullet anywere like what it should be.

Load data tells me that my C.O.L should be 2.125" (of the top of my head) but the minimum lenght i can get from the seating die is 2.173" and i cant understand why?

Anyone else had problems like this? as far as i know the die is set up according to the insturctions??? i am not having a good nite as you can see on my other thread!!

Have you got the seating die screwed down near to the top of the shell holder? I have no problems with any of my Lee .222 sets. (I have two, for two rifles) Are you sure it is a .222 seater?? and a .223 seater didn't get substituted? Is the floating insert in place? Also, which bullet are you using? My charts show minimum O.A.Ls of up to 2.190 with some bullets.~Andrew

Hi andrew, yea its certainly a 222 die, its a brand new set i got in a box of bits from an auction some time back, everything seems to be there and unused. even with the shell holder touching the base of the die i cant get it to seat any deeper

Im using the 40Gr V-Max

Hi andrew, yea its certainly a 222 die, its a brand new set i got in a box of bits from an auction some time back, everything seems to be there and unused. even with the shell holder touching the base of the die i cant get it to seat any deeper

Im using the 40Gr V-Max

Most of the data I have shows the 40 grain bullets at around 2.140" so you do have some space to kill. Put a spacer between the floating seater and the hollow if the seater adjustment. A short bit of 5/16" (.312") wooden (brass, fiberglass...) dowel works. This should take up the slack and allow deeper seating. My guess is that they got a bit exuberant drilling the hole in the seater adjustment that stops the internal, floating seater. This should fix you up.

Good shooting.~Andrew

PS: You could even glue in the spacer if you like.

Archived