Help needed!

shrek

Hi guys wondering if somone can point me in the right direction here?!

Finally got my 90 gr lapua scenars for my 6BR however when i got them home i noticed that they were the silver jackets.... so i thought i would try som to see if accuracy was any different from the standard copper jackets, last nite i loaded up 5 rounds and shot a .3 group at 100 lovly!

However i loaded a further 5 round quickly this evening when i got home from work to try at long range (475 yards) and chrony the load to see if the velocity was different fro the standard copper jackets.

Anyway, dialed in first shot bob on and showing 2695fps with my original average being 2700, however the next four shots dropped drastically in velocity approximatly 25fps between shots, i cant understand why???

All at the same seating depth, to my knowegde exacly the same power charge, same primers and brass with equal number of firings.

The 5 rounds were also not stored anywere were they would become cooler or hotter, if anyone could shed some light on this or even suggest some advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Shrek

A friend showed me some velocity figures using BR4 and Fed 205 match primers in that case. The BR4 were stunningly close, all 5 within 10 fps. The Federals had a spread of about 30 fps.

In fairness I cannot see 25fps making that much real difference, it is only about 1 percent. Try BR4 and see how you get on.

A

im already using the BR4's and they are a great primer, however when i said they were dropping 25fts it was dropping that on average every shot i took, so my first shot was 2695 however my final shot ended up doing 2550, i just cant get my head round it???

If you usualy shoot uncoated bullets and you are now trying moly, the drop in velocity may well be down to that (the moly).

Guest varmartin

I secont what Ronin has posted....Clean your barrel back to squeecky clean bare steel if you are going to shoot moly....and dont shoot any thing else....or dont use moly and enjoy more consistant loads ;)

Some love, some hate, guess its a marmite thing!

I only shoot one rifle with moly bullets - 22-250AI, no others.

The next barrel the AI has will be shooting naked bullets - :lol:

Do a search on google on moly and make up your own mind mate - they may work for you.

Archived