advice wanted

hi there guys im looking at getting another deer rifle and cant decide between the 6.5x55 or the 25-06 any real life experance would be most helpfull or if you could recomend another round then al the better, target species will be roe fallow and a big maybe 1 or 2 red a year and it will also be ticketed for pest control

many thanks guys

6.5 x 55 will cover all of your target species - you can go down to a 85grn bullet for vermin and up past 160grn for Red and anything inbetween

I absolutley love my 6.5 and they also seem to kick ass on the 308's in a few comps too!!

The 260 rem is ok but the 6.5x55 has 100yrs of being one of the most accurate rounds in the world and loads of reloading stuff available at good prices. The 260 was really re-inventing the wheel and is nowhere near as popular, particularly if you need to buy ammo when away etc, when it is almost impossible to get ( I had a 260 now have the 6.5 ) I would not get rid of my 6.5 , it is as they say my goto rifle for stalking and general use.

The 7mm-08 is another classic round and very well thought of or the 270 win ( I have one of these as well) which is another very accurate classic and in parts of Scotland and some forestry districts the 270 is the minimum they will let you shoot with,especially on Reds.

The final consideration is when you come to sell the rifle the popular std rounds hold their price, the one offs, wildcats and unpopular ones can be almost impossible to sell, so in your position, until you have developed your own tastes and experience, stick with the well known classics, which are easy to change if you want to.

Redfox

Have you considered the 6.5-284 ?. Seems to be getting a popular rifle in the stalking field. Very accurate as well.

Ads

Have you considered the 6.5-284 ?. Seems to be getting a popular rifle in the stalking field. Very accurate as well.

Ads

Ohhhhhhh Yea baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

All the best.......................

RAY............................................ :D;)

thanks for the advice guys i was leaning towards the 6.5 if there are any other views on this it would be most apprecated

quick question on the 6.5x55 what is the recoil like ? and what are the better makes to go for sako remington ect ect

Have had a 270 for years a great gun and it puts big reds down on the spot, I have aslo had a 2506 and this was a great rifle and very flat shooting with light bullets .

I have used the 6.5x57 and is a good tool , but if your wanting something a little more special the 6.5x284 is a great round :( ,

At the end of the day its what you feel you want is going to be the best no matter what others say.

What every you decide I am sure it will do the job mate , good hunting Cheers Andy ;)

Have had a 270 for years a great gun and it puts big reds down on the spot, I have aslo had a 2506 and this was a great rifle and very flat shooting with light bullets .

I have used the 6.5x57 and is a good tool , but if your wanting something a little more special the 6.5x284 is a great round :( ,

At the end of the day its what you feel you want is going to be the best no matter what others say.

What every you decide I am sure it will do the job mate , good hunting Cheers Andy ;)

Andy

I agree about the 284.Unfortunately the factory route is limited in that cal and it`d probably have to be a semi/full custom.

Another consideration is the wsm stable.All the power you`ll ever need and in a short action ;)

hi there guys im looking at getting another deer rifle and cant decide between the 6.5x55 or the 25-06 any real life experance would be most helpfull or if you could recomend another round then al the better, target species will be roe fallow and a big maybe 1 or 2 red a year and it will also be ticketed for pest control

many thanks guys

25.06 all the way flat shooting hard hitting 100 ballistic tips for necking hinds or rutting sika stags you will not look back ,you should look at the 110 gr norma v max in .270 also i swaped my 25.06 for a 270 for this reason

Guest northernchris

6.5 x 55 if you want long action or .260 if you want short,the performance between the two are pretty much identical,factory ammo is harder to get for the .260 but i thats about it.

Archived