Big Thanks to Silent

Firstly a BIG Thanks to Silent for taking me stalking the last two weekends. Last weekend was cracking as some may have seem on another thread, but this weekend was awesome and very wet.

We arrived at the the farm at about 19.45 hrs and got ourselves sorted out and although we had ad some rain it had stopped now, well that is until we started out across the first field :D anyhow we carried on toward the wood.

As hard as we tried to go quietly across the fields it was near impossible as the ground was so water logged every step sounded like it could be hear hundreds of yards away.

Anyway we got to the wood and we could see plenty of signs of deer movement coming in from the right over the hedge, we stalked quietly through the wood and into the first clearing scanning all around but not a sign of them, I remember thinking that you can't expect any self respecting deer to be out in this weather.

By the time we had got across the clearing we were soaked to the skin, so much for the forecast :rolleyes: . into the next strip of wood an out into the next clearing by this time we had seen several places were the deer had been laid up but still no deer to be seen.

By now it was getting to the stage were I couldn't see properly to shoot if the deer was against a dark background so we headed for home. 40 minutes later we were back at the caravan and the pair of us were dripping wet and looking forward to a bite to eat and our beds.

After a couple of hours kip the alarm goes off at 04.00hrs and it was still pissing down so we decided to call it off so back in our sleeping bags for some much needed rest, not much more than an hour later I hear a voice saying "Nigel, The birds are singing, must have stopped raining, Lets go". So we were up and out putting on a dry set of cloths but the same lovely wet boots was not something I relish at 5 in the morning but something just have to be done.

By now the field were just running in water and the sheep were all wearing arm bands and rubber rings, Christ I thought it was summer!! :P

Anyhow we squelched our way to the wood and once there the rain on the leave would cover any noise we would make, it was now a drizzle that just sticks to you and eventually gets you soaked through, but not to worry we were out and we were going to make the most of it.

We can to the first clearing again like last night there were signs that deer had been about but there were none we could see.

We decided to go out toward the river at the bottom of the clearing to see if there were any sings of deer crossing it, we did see one well used crossing but still no sign of deer.

At this point we carried on along the river bank missing most of the second clearing but coming back out to the far side or the clearing, Jamie said we should just have a look back into the clearing before we headed back home for some much needed dry clothes (again).

Just as Jamie stepped out of the trees there was a roe buck and doe almost following the track we had taken into the wood toward the river, Jamie stood still and motioned me forward I could see the buck was looking about as if he knew someone had passed through the area but was unaware we were watching him from the other side of the clearing.

I had no time to get my sticks up so I rested on Jamie's shoulder placed the cross hair on his shoulder then slowly moved the rifle to his head, checked it was a buck and back to the boiler house, a gentle squeeze and a 90g Nosler took out the heart and lung, the buck went up in the air and ran some 20yds into the trees.

After a short wait and a shake of Jamie's hand for all his help it was off to find him.

We had two great stalks and eventually our patients was rewarded, once again many thanks Jamie for all your help in getting me my first deer :wacko:

dscf0026hs1.jpg

Guest Remmy

nice one lads i was with you all the way , great feeling getting your first deer Nigel well done that man, i hope jamie made you gralloch it nigel you will never forget your first one mate, nice read well done lads rgds remmy. ;)

Guest varmartin

well done Nigel...looks like a nice one.

Well done to silent also, for persevering in the pissing rain.

You wont forget your fist buck now will you ?

Thanks for the replies guys, well bambi has now been sliced diced and minced and is now in the freezer ;) .

As you said Kip typical British weather, but it didn't stop us from having a good time.

I am dried out but I think my boots may take a few more days yet B)

Remmy I was all ready to do the dirty job but Jamie got on and did it while I held it up against the tree.

I was surprised how much damage was done to the exit side of the deer, it didn't look so bad with the jacket on but when it came off there was two exit wounds and the underside of the front leg was a mess, but not waisted as I cut all the damaged bits away and put them in the mincer for my dogs, not that they are spoilt or anything ;)

We had a long walk back and Jamie carried the buck which weighed 38lb 12oz dressed out while I carried our rifles, good job he had his happy pills :D:lol: He's a top bloke.

dscf0018xu3.jpg

oh oh ######

well I woke up with a bad back and in pain at 4am, we decided to go back to bed but to stop the pain I took some serious pain relief and it shows.........

put my camel back on my front so I could carry nigels deer over my shoulders and just how pissed do I look?????????????????????????

well I am paying for it now

Looks good. Only thing is watch out for keds & ticks on your back when you carry deer like that.....Had one on my back and the snapped the body off while trying to get off with tweezers, went septic and had to be remved by the doc ;)

Well done Nigel!!!!!!! ;) ;)

So pleased for you buddy on getting your first deer , a wonderful memory that you shall never forget!!!!!! :D;)

I am sure when you eat the venison all those memories of the hunt with Jamie will come flooding back!!!!

Are you getting head done Nigel???

Thanks for a cracking writeup...............................

Well done lads.......................... ;)

All the best...................................

RAY..................................................... :D :D

One of the best ways to get rid of ticks safely is to cover them with nail varnish as they breath through there abdomen and this then suffocates them and they drop off without leaving anything behind. and they are gone in no time as well.

Sorry to hear your paying for it now pard, I knew we should of left it and gone and got my truck ;)

As for the bbq Millpool your going to miss out again as you are away pard ;);)

ANd Ray as for me getting head that is just a distant memory pard ;)

Quote................

ANd Ray as for me getting head that is just a distant memory pard ;)

Very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

All the best.......................

RAY.................................. :D :D

Archived