.22 hornet barrel length

After some advice , I've got a Cz .22 hornet with what seems a very long barrel for the type of shooting I do (from a 4x4) could I shorten it to say 16" that would be ideal with my over barrel mod and make it very point able , I also reload my rounds of that helps aswell

Any pros and cons would be great

Cheers

I have a CZ527 22 Hornet , I use with a MAE SS suppressor , ( 22 mag model ) , its now rated to 223 rifles , nice little can , I use on a farm mainly for magpies , the av distance is around 150-170yds , the barrel has been cut down to 20 inches long , I get 3000fps with 40gr Vmax bullets , and good accuracy , scope I use is a bushy 3-12x44mm LRHS , love it , the 40gr load is too long for the magazine , so I single load it .

I think 16 inches would be a bit too short , as you still want some good velocity out of it , the furtherest I have shoot it is 325yds on a big billy goat across a gully .

Maybe 18 inches would be OK , its up to you , BUT once cut , you can not go back to a longer tube , I use Lilgun powder 13.0gr , and use a light crimp on the case , lee factory crimp die , and crimp onec , then rotate the case a bit , and crimp again , that way you donot get the little fingers of un-crimped case , and the crimp is then 360 degree .

Love my Hornet , it gets used a lot , woould not be with out it now .

Later Chris

I have a CZ527 22 Hornet , I use with a MAE SS suppressor , ( 22 mag model ) , its now rated to 223 rifles , nice little can , I use on a farm mainly for magpies , the av distance is around 150-170yds , the barrel has been cut down to 20 inches long , I get 3000fps with 40gr Vmax bullets , and good accuracy , scope I use is a bushy 3-12x44mm LRHS , love it , the 40gr load is too long for the magazine , so I single load it .

I think 16 inches would be a bit too short , as you still want some good velocity out of it , the furtherest I have shoot it is 325yds on a big billy goat across a gully .

Maybe 18 inches would be OK , its up to you , BUT once cut , you can not go back to a longer tube , I use Lilgun powder 13.0gr , and use a light crimp on the case , lee factory crimp die , and crimp onec , then rotate the case a bit , and crimp again , that way you donot get the little fingers of un-crimped case , and the crimp is then 360 degree .

Love my Hornet , it gets used a lot , woould not be with out it now .

Later Chris

I applaud you on crimping. It's the right thing to do, especially with the Hornet. Rotating the case though, is unnecessary and can actually lessen the pull weight of the crimped bullet in some instances. Those gaps allow for the minute amount of displaced metal to go somewhere. When you compress them back against the already crimped section the metal in the previously crimped area can be displaced, lessening the crimp. Note that most factory crimped ammunition often has those little gaps in the crimp. This was how the crimping process was explained to me by the senior engineer at Industrias Tecnos.~Andrew

Archived