Favourite field

Redfox

Went out the night before last and on the favourite field ( one in the pics last time) yet another young vixen came to have a look for the last time.

P7310008.jpg

Not far about 120yds with the 17 Rem and saw it go over backwards in the scope as it was walking direct towards me. I have shot more foxes in this field and the one next to it than anywhere else, we were talking after and my mate agreed it must be about 170 over the last 8 years.

It is in the right place to be a kind of fox highway between the suburbs and the countryside.

Handy for a bag of chips on the way home too. :rolleyes:

Redfox

Hi Redfox

Funny how it goes like that, i've got my lucky fields that mostly seem to produce, sometimes makes you wonder where they all come from ?? :rolleyes:

I better be careful here in my terminology, but I wondered what heads you are using in your 17 Rem ??

Cheers Steve

You mean bullets? :rolleyes: . I use the hornady 25gr hollow points, I have down to 17gr and up to 32gr bergers but the 25s seem to hit the sweet spot and give great accuracy and kill well. I use varget powder and rem primers, gives about 4150 over the chrono, I have a faster load but it isnt quite as accurate as it uses the 20gr hp bullet and wind is an issue then too. I had hoped to go for the berger bullet but again accuracy was not as good so 25gr it is.

cheers

Redfox

Hi Redfox , I have noticed since I have been shooting foxes that there are fields that always seem to come up trumps and fields where I would expect to see charlies I never have ,

I have a cousin who is a Prof in a Univercity, he come out shooting on night and this subject come into the conversation , a few weeks later he called me up and his thoughts seemed to think it had something to do with magnatisum, :rolleyes: either by electric cables underground or naturally occuring in the soil.

After 10minutes of big words and things I cant even attempt to spell, he put the phone down and there was me totally head F*****D .

I just thought that it was just not being in the right place at the right time :P

Hi. I find the same thing happens on one of the farms that I shoot on. There,s one field called mill field were I have never seen a fox in all the five years that I,ve shot the farm. Thats despite going at different times ie between 7pm and dawn. And yet the fields all around it produce their fair share of foxes. Eric

Archived