Favourite for pest control

English

Ive been reading the posts on 6mmBR

When I had the chance to shoot in the US in 2004 my host had the usual calibres 223, .22-250. 243, 25-06, 308. 30-06 etc but he also had a real passion for small calibres and introduced me to things like .17mach4, .221 fireball and .20 tactical to name but a few.

As well as the centerfires he convinced me there were places in the cabinet for both ,17hm2 and .17hmr.

Due to the prohibitive cost of building the .17mach4 I have in mind, I have consoled myself with a Sako in .17 Remington to complete my trio of small calibres which I have to say Im very happy with.

However in time and as funds permit I do propose to tap into this intreguing small calibre wild cat world.

Are people in the main shooting "stock" calibres or are the "wildcat" rounds becoming generally more popular?

Guest Smeagle

That is a big question, Wildcatting becoming more popular. I would say not the hay day of the wildcats was in the late 50s through the 60s and early 70s when the greats where out there fiddling around and developing new loads and combinations. They are fun to play with but generally a real pain in the bum as well. There are of course those who still do it and enjoy it and there are still some developing new stuff. But no where near what used to be. So no it certainly is not becoming more popular. But you will get the old die hard's who will argue the corner that it is still going strong and is indeed stronger than it has ever been but this is delusional at best and misleading.

This aspect has suffered in recent times, holdings are down, legislation has curbed stocks and the manufacturers produce so many options as standard these days, many of which started as wildcats, that for most shooters it is not a practical option. For me I have played around with various stuff and to be honest it is not worth the hassle to me. Spending hours to get very little in the way of results at the end and more often than not a calibre of the shelve will do all that is required or wanted. The major manufacturers spend big on R&D and know what works, the popular calibres are popular for a reason, they work.

Besides you can waste a lot of both money and time in having rifles chambered, reamers and dies made to find that the thing does not perform. It has its place as I said but for those who want something different and have the time and inclination to waste, and I do say waste because for every result you get ten or more failures. But I would encourage anyone to try it, it is a good way to learn and develop your skills.

Guest 308Panther

Smeagle pretty much nailed it....Wildcatting isnt what it used to be.

With the release of these new short magnum fad cartridges they

pretty much got all the bases covered.

I pretty much stick to the tried and true.Getting stuck someplace tryin to find

non existant ammo for an oddball does me no good.

I may in the not so distant future start loading my own,but this more to limit

costs and I would only be loading for 2 calibers.

Over here....If I cant drop it with a .17HMR,308Win or a 12 ga...Well..

then its either time for me to quit or I am in a serious world of hurt.

308Panther

Archived