With it being my 40th this year I was in two minds as to what I wanted, a week stalking on Arran on the hinds (I missed the Stag period) or a good Roe Buck.

Arran would include having to drive all the way up to Scotland and back, then the ferry crossing and accommodation for the week, which at a guess would be in the region of £500 plus.

Getting a nice Roe Buck would be a few hundred pounds but it’s only half an hour away, so a phone call to my friend who I stalk with, and explaining that as a one off I would like a nice Buck, the action plan is set in place.

He has been out and spotted a couple of nice Bucks, so today we arranged for me to go over for a morning stalk. The weather has been really warm and ideal for bringing out the Bucks, as they are rutting but with the standing crops spotting them would be hard work.

Leaving my house it was chucking it down, I wasn’t looking forward to this in the rain, but 40 miles away the weather can be totally different.

As I got closer the rain stopped and it was looking good for this morning there was a SW wind which wasn’t the best, but we headed off and got to our first spot.

It was getting light but with the cloud cover it would be a few minutes more before we could glass the fields and see, but it wasn’t long and we were both scanning the fields for any signs of deer, antler tips or the flicker of an ear.

There was nothing in this field, so after 30 minutes we headed off to the next one and as we got to the open gateway there was a buck stood there, but it was only a yearling and made off before I could have got a shot off. Scanning the next few fields we saw a Doe and a kid, but there were no Bucks about at all.

We headed off to another piece of ground that hopefully would show promise of a Buck, it was a field of standing wheat, so I climbed into a high seat and my mate got out the Buttolo call and gave a few peeps. A Doe came running in with two kids following behind, and stopped 30 yards away sniffing about, so I was scanning around looking for signs of a Buck that hopefully would follow too.

After another 30 minutes nothing showed so off we went to another field, as we drove into the gateway this field had been cut and there were bales in there, with the next field still not cut. I spotted a Doe roughly 150 yards away so we drove closer to a bale that would hide our approach, and then a Buck came out of the standing wheat and stood broadside, I got out of the vehicle and stalked to the bale.

Peering over the top of the bale the buck was still stood there, a four pointer, not really what I was after but it was a good cull animal, I had the go ahead from the Stalker so placed the cross hairs on it’s chest. It was still broadside and now only 90 yards away so I squeezed off my shot the 130grain .270 Winchester round doing its job dropping the Buck on the spot, quickly chambering another round I was ready in case a larger Buck came out of the standing wheat.

The Doe made off without looking back, and nothing else showed so we collected the Buck performed the gralloch and we were off again still looking for a good sized Buck.

The next field we spotted a Doe along a woods edge, she was intent on eating so we both carefully scanned to see if a Buck was with her, but there was no signs, so a few peeps on the Buttolo to get her interest, but she was having none of it.

We headed back to the first field and spotted another yearling but there was no chance of a safe shot, but his days are numbered.

The buck I did shoot is no real trophy, but still special and it’s going on the wall, and I’ll get some pictures up when it’s done. I’m also going to invest in a camera for my shooting exploits as my phone is naff, and I don’t want to take my larger camera out in the field.

So my quest for that special Buck continues…………………………

Guest martin

Good read Kip,but,a damn shame you didn't get a decent Buck to put up there on the wall........it will be along when you least expect it mate....................Martin.

Nice tale thanks.

I won't carry a seperate camera as I have enough junk to carry already :lol:

On the phone front I have a 3.2 megapixel sony phone/camera K800 and the pics are spot on. It has a best pic option that gives you 9 pics close to each other from one press to choose from so say you were taking a picture of the lad going through a puddle you could pick the best one and bin the rest. Also does short vids with sound.

Only negative is no optical zoom. The digital zoom is great but you lose definition drastically.

Glad you enjoyed your birthday trip kip!!! :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of the special Roebuck i had mounted that ( thanks to Jamies kindness ) i shot on my birthday week!!!

So thats all that matters mate - that it is special to you!!! :D;)

Thanks for a good writeup too......... :lol::D

All the best.....................

RAY.............................. :D;)

Archived