Bang Pop Flop

sandersj89

Bang Flop Pop, what on earth are you on about I hear you ask.....well read on.

Last night spent a very very enjoyable evening in the company of a couple of friends at one of my permissions.

Glorious evenings weather, warm and only a slight breeze.

First plan was to head up to the middle of the site, about 3rds of the way up on the side of the downs to a ridge so we could watch a big area and try for some rabbits whilst waiting for the light to drop and then get out the lamps.

First activity though was to re zero Rob’s 22.250 as he had swapped mounts recently. We all sorted out our rifles and then Brian walked out the target board to 100m ready for Rob. Whilst waiting I was busy glassing the side of the hills above us and spotting rabbits ready for when we were ready to start shooting proper.

I glanced to my right and a patch of scrub and see an adult fox moving above us just as Brian makes it back from setting up the targets, he is a little out of breath but grabs his AR 223 and tries to get a bead on him, I range find it at about 220yards but Charlie is not going to stop, I start squeaking but he losses himself in the patch of scrub. We call and glass for 10 mins or so but nothing to be seen other than rabbits.

Rob sets himself up with his rifle on the sand bags and starts the re zero process, first shot not even on the board so we pull the board back to 50m and try again. This time it is on the board but low and right. Way low in fact.

Adjust the scope and slowly get the shots into the centre of the target. All the time I have my back to Rob most of the time and carry on glassing the area where the fox was, and I get him again, sat looking right as us.

I grab my 243 and try and set up so I can see him in the scope over the grass but cant get a clear shot before he walks into cover again. Rob’s shooting was away from him and he did not seem too fussed by the sound.

Robb is now ready for the target to go back to 100m and he fine tunes the zero and gets a nice tight group that is ideal for the action to follow.

The light is starting to go, the sun has is slowly setting behind the down to our west but we let Rob set up on the bonnet of the land rover to take the first rabbit, a black one across a valley at about 230m I think. He settles himself for the shot and bang then the pop of the strike. Cracking shot.

We then spend a very enjoyable 45mins hardly moving from the spot sniping long range rabbits……..this is where the title of the post first got thought up.

You find a rabbit in the glasses, direct the shooter onto it and they take the shot….Bang!

Watching the rabbit you see it flop over and tumble down the bank!

Then you hear the Pop of the bullet strike bounce back at us. A perfect demonstration of the difference in the speed of light vs sound.

Some of the ranges the shots were taken at were very spectacular and Rob was grinning like a Cheshire cat. The 22.250 is so flat shooting and OI certainly see the attraction of the calibre.

The light was now dropping fast and we started to use the roof mounted lamp to spot a few more rabbits before moving off in fox mode. We sorted ourselves out and Brian got behind the wheel, Rob shooting out of the roof and myself working the lamp and ready with the calls should they be required.

First route took us back to the base of the downs and a move around to the far end of the permission so we could get up to the very top for a scout around. This is the route where Brian made a valiant effort to try and tip us over the other week but no excitement this time. Plenty of rabbits around but no sign of Charlie so we head back to the bottom and move towards the other end of the permission to cover the lower grass land.

Into the first field and there about 250m in front is the tell tale eyes we are looking for, I start to call on the WAM and this fox comes in like a steam train though at a slight angle. It is running full pelt and wont stop but we loose sight of it where the hedge line turns and there is a bunch of ewes and lambs.

Brian edges the land rover to the left and forward to open up the angle but we cant see anything and I swing the lamp back to the left and there are more eyes are out on the far hedge line, Brain moves forwards a little and then stops to Rob can take the shot as it is safe. I call to hold the fox and bang, first fox in the bag.

Great shot, just under 170m I think and the fox did not move an inch, ¾ grown dark dog fox.

We scout the rest of the area for 30mins but nothing doing so we move to where I shot the 2 large cubs last week. This area has now had the hay baled so visibility is much improved.

Park up the landrover and set up the gear, Rob still shooting, me on the lamp and Brian carrying the sticks should they be needed.

As we are about to leave the landrover I flick the lamp up onto the hill behind us over a wheat field, there in the top corner is a bare patch and we get a set of eyes. I start to call and they move around a little but hard to make out. Rob settles down on the ground with the rifle resting on the fence and he can make out it is a fox but it is not a clear fox, we range it and it is 300 plus metres. The fox is moving in and out of site and is joined by another but we loose them in the wheat, it could be they came in to the call but with the standing wheat we would not be able to see them. We call it quits and move across another wheat field to get to the baled hay fields.

First field were we shot the first one last week and nothing showing so we carry on around to the second field but again nothing. We walk through a gate to the field I shot the second one in last week and get a set of eyes about 40m out to the right, I kill the lamp and Rob lies down prone, once he is ready I raise the lamp power but the fox has moved but is sat around to the left and at about 70m, Rob quickly lines up and another shot is sent on it’s way. Again, not a twitch and a late season vixen cub is in the bag.

We carry on around the next couple of fields but nothing is seen so we head back to the landrover as it is getting late. I shine the lamp up to were we saw the eyes just earlier but nothing there now but we could hear a hell of a racket going on out further on the hill, young cubs play fighting by the sound of it so we have more work to do yet.

Good night had by all with the exception of various rabbits and a couple of foxes but lovely clean kills and no suffering. Good shooting Rob.

Fox 1

30072008033.jpg

Fox 2

29072008032.jpg

Jerry

Guest martin

Do you find the .22/250 exceptionally loud,as some people have said,and what mod have you got on it mate.I am asking as I have a space on my ticket for one,and,would like a bit of factual(not just peoples thoughts)knowledge based info please.....................Martin.

Do you find the .22/250 exceptionally loud,as some people have said,and what mod have you got on it mate.I am asking as I have a space on my ticket for one,and,would like a bit of factual(not just peoples thoughts)knowledge based info please.....................Martin.

Martin,

The rifle not mine its my brothers, but i can tell you that it no louder maybe even quiter than my .223 we both use a T8.

Its turning into a cracking rifle/caliber :lol:

Last night longest kill was 322 yards ;)

A very enjoyable read!!!! ;)

Well done on some nice shooting too guys!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

All the best.......................

RAY............................................. :D :D

Martin,

The rifle not mine its my brothers, but i can tell you that it no louder maybe even quiter than my .223 we both use a T8.

Its turning into a cracking rifle/caliber ;)

Last night longest kill was 322 yards :lol:

I will second that.

At one point I was standing in front of the muzzle when it was fired, down range and totally safe.The lack of noise really surprised me.

Later the difference in sound levels between my 243 and his 22.250 was very obvious!

On last nights performance I think it is an excellent calibre, it certainly made the foxes sit up and take notice...or rather fall down and take no notice of anything ever again!

I would like to compare all 3 calibres one day with out mods.....

ive never noticed a 22-250 being much louder then anything else ive had really!

very nice cartridge My fave .22cal:-)

very flat shooting altho 243 shooters can be flater with the right bullet/load so if u already have one you just need a 55-58g vmax & your away:-)

anyways nice shooting:-)

Andy

Good write up and I agree love the 22-250, although mines been on R&R since the 17rem arrived and I rediscovered the 222 :lol:

but when the winter shooting comes on and I really have to start reaching out, it will be dusted off again.

Redfox

I need to start reloading next, my 243 shoots fed 100gr powershok well but I cant find a light varmint round it likes, tried the fed 55gr vital shok and the groups opened righ up.

But a lighter round would make it nice and flat shooting.

Know nedxt to nothing about reloading through!!

Sanders get yourself a book, read it twice then come back on and ask the bits you dont understand.

Ideally somebody to show you is best but I managed it on my own ( billy no mates ahhhh) :lol:

Dont think it will be cheaper though as by the time you've bought everything you will only shoot more :lol:

J89,

Good, sound advice from Eldon, it's the only sensible way to go.

In addition to a reloading manual, buy, beg or borrow "The Complete Reloading Manual for the 243 Winchester" by Loadbooks USA. Its a data manual only, no 'how to' instructions. Tells you all you want to know and more. I have 4, one for each calibre, all from Norman Clarke.

As for a flat shooting load, for many years I used my Krico 243 for fox with 80 gn hollowpoint Bergers. Never measured the velocities but it certainly knocks over foxes, no problem. Exits can be messy with this bullet, but instant death is dead.

Just a suggestion but, considering the excellent performance I'm getting in my 223 and 22-250, it may also be worth considering 243 V Max in the 60 to 80 gn range although I've never tried them. Anyone care to advance an opinion/expertise/experience in this regard?.

I agree about the 22-250, super round, my favourite fox cartridge although you've got to go some to beat the 223, IMHO.

Peter

well try for a rock chucker supreme starter kit as a present all you need to get started reloading and the speer manual in it is superb reading as well as all the loads it holds. set of dies, bullet heads , powder and primers and of you go, hope you save your brass as thats half the battle.

But be warned it can be addictive as the results induce needs to shoot even better and further groups or vermin .

but most of all its even more fun

graham.

Reading Material?.

Any of the Loading Manuals - Speer, Hornady, etc Loads of info - keep you busy for weeks

Try the following sites:

www.6mmbr.com/index.html (Its got info on 243W).

www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/pdfs/Rifle-Reloading-Data-2006.pdf

www.hornady.com/

A book which I recommend to everyone who shoots foxes: "Foxing with Lamp and Rifle" by Robert Bucknell - the 'bible'

Health Warning: Taking up Reloading is very bad for you, it is addictive and there is no cure, except possibly, severe lack of money. You will spend hours hunched over a Press/Balance/Trimmer/etc and even more time reading Reloading Books and Manuals. Even worse, you will spend money to the detriment of your bank balance. Furthermore, you will be out shooting more often, probably incur the wrath of 'er Indoors and cause your children to enquire "Who is that strange man, Mummy". You have been warned. :ph34r:

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Very good write up mate!!! I am always glad to hear when like mined people enjoy our sport???

The outlay for reloading can be a bit dear,,,But the enjoyment that you will get is worth every penny??

AS has been said, read as much as you can, and then ask as much as you want!!!

There is always help on this site,,,,

I to have been out and about mopping up a few cubs,,, The phone has been red hot!!!

Nice one mate!!! If you need any help just ask,,,, F2n

Archived