9 shot detachable magazine conversion for Howa 1500.

As a number of guys on here know I have been working on a Detachable Magazine conversion for my Howa 1500. Here is the finished product, “no CNC machining was used in the construction of this conversion.” :D So it was back to my roots using bench fitting hand tools. :lol:

I wanted to keep the new bottom metal to the same profile as the original Howa floor plate, this would mean that I could then put the original back in the stock at a latter date if I so desired.

For magazines I used one from a Remington, but I modified the feed lips on these mags to make them a double stack but feed from the central position like Accuracy International magazines. One down side was that this turned the 10 shot mag’ into a 9 shot. The five shot mag’ is just a cut down 10 shot with a new alloy bottom made for it.

The new mags’ make chambering a new round much nicer with less resistance on the bolt, the bullets now make contact with the feed ramp ½ to 2/3 the way up compared with the bottom of the ramp with the standard rifle.

The mag’ release catch is operated like a Badger Ordinance one, you just push it forward to release the mag’ I kept it small so you were least likely to catch it while stalking ect. It would be no problem to make a larger one for a range gun.

The 9 shot mag’ was wanted for my hunting trip to NZ, we fly out on Friday. We will be shooting wild boar among others animals and from past experience out there I found a 3 shot mag’ a bit limiting when the dogs hit a big mob of pigs. I am sure 5 in the mag’ would be fine but it will do no harm to have a few extra. The total cost was £12 for one mag’ and £16 for the other but don’t ask me how many man hours. :lol:

P1010001-2.jpg

The mag’ in the middle is a 5 shot Tikka one.

P1010003.jpg

Here you can see the mags’ feeding from the centre position.

Howamagconversion.jpg

The original Howa floor plate next to the roughed out new floor plate the trigger guard was TIG welded in place then dressed back as was the magazine box guild (not shown).

P1010006.jpg

The 9 shot mag’ next to a Tikka 595 5shot for comparison.

P1010007.jpg

5 shot mag’ fitted.

Best rgds

B-b

and next week we will be making a bazooka form a used fairly liquid bottle and a toilet roll tube :lol: you would have made a great asset to the A Team instead of BA you could be BB :D

:lol:

:D

sorry couldnt resit it,well done by the way I did wonder why you needs a 10 shot mag but after reading your post I can see why those NZ open hills may require fast running shots,have fun and remember your sun block

The pigs are in the valley bottoms in the bush, not on the open tops, they are vermin over there the farmers want as many knocking over as you can, no trophy fees. You do get feral goats in large groups in open country, again they are treated as vermin this is a popular rifle for knocking them over.

H26K-SL8.jpg

Maybe 9 is not enough should best make a 30 shot out of a cardboard box heh?

Best rgds

B-b

Looks good Kev

took some commitment and faith to attack a project like this and get it to work :lol:

Also says alot about the durability, if you are prepared to take your own design out to NZ and use it in challenging conditions.

Well done :D

Looks good Kev

took some commitment and faith to attack a project like this and get it to work :lol:

Also says alot about the durability, if you are prepared to take your own design out to NZ and use it in challenging conditions.

Well done :D

Compared to some things I have been involved with it was easy enough.

My only worry is that I might loose a mag’ but the catch is pretty well protected between the mag’ and the trigger guard and I will have a spare mag’ with me. It feeds 100%, much better than before and I have cycled 100s of round though the mags’ in testing.

Best rgds

B-b

Some nice work there B-b,

Just outta curiosity.....That Howa floorplate looks so close to a Rem I wonder if a

Badger DBM kit wouldnt bolt right up?

Or are they just far enough off to be differant?

308Panther

I have seen one fitted with a Badger kit, in truth I felt it was a bit of a compromise, the hole spacing is totally different and you have to open out the stock in some places and back fill other areas with devcon to make it fit. The cost of the kit and a couple of AI mags is quite high too compared to the cost of a Howa rifle, if it was a perfect fit then fair enough but when you have to do a fair bit of adapting. :lol: So I decided to make one from scratch, there is a fair bit of personal satisfaction from making your own as well. :D

Best rgds

B-b

Archived