308 brass - swap to Palma?

MJR

My 308 brass (Std Lapua) has seen better days and needs to be replaced. The rifle its used in is a custom rifle, 26 barrel and shoots predominantly 175 smk or 155 2156 bullets. Would I see a benefit in swapping to Palma brass?

Hi MJR I Changed to Palma brass a couple of years ago the noticeable difference is primer pockets last longer on the brass and also you can seem to stoke them up a bit more they seem to accept a little more powder than the large primer brass has regards accuracy cant say there is a difference there but I must admit I have put some good scores in with Palma brass as towards when I shot the old brass BUT AGAIN I have learned a little more so hard to say about accuracy to be true but if your old brass is nackered then I would replace it with Palma hope this helps

I nearly exclusively use Palma brass now for FTR. The exception being in low temps (below 5C), where I believe primer ignition becomes less consistent with the smaller primers.

You need to know what benefits you are looking for...for me it is reduced ES/SD (by about one third, load for load) and coping better with higher pressure loads associated with making the journey out to 1000yd and remaining above M1.2.

I shoot loads with the 185 juggernaut 155.5 bergers from a 32'' bartlein, with RS52 and Rem 7 1/2 BR primer. The brass copes with the pressure better and the primer pockets have greater strength. Anneal the brass to keep neck tension consistent, and the brass will last a very long time. Just need a little extra powder compared to the standard brass, by around 0.5 to 1 gn.

If you do not have pressure issues, are content with your string stats and not looking to play at 1000yds...not sure there is a good enough reason to change.

Archived