NSX probs

Alycidon

Morning all.

Took my NSX ( 5.5 x 22 x 50) our for a couple of hours yesterday evening, as it got dark I tried the illum ret, holding it on ( out) then it illuminated but let it go and it would not.

Tried 2 new batteries in it this morning and nothing, tried the batts both ways round, turned the intensity up and zippo.

First time that rifle has been used for some months and maybe 12 months since the illum ret was tried, scope is maybe 10 years old, no serial number on it that I can see.

Any thoughts anyone other than send it for repair, anybody in the UK do repairs on them?, my dealings with Ruag do not fill me with confidence in getting it back within six months. Not sure how the warranty situation is.

A

Ruag are no longer nightforce agents. It's now SportsmanGunCentre.

I recently sent an NXS back to USA through them for very same problem. Absolutely smooth, took about a month in total and, best of all, totally free!!.

Sounds like the contacts are not coming together for the negative connection unless you hold it out, so maybe just wants working a little especially if not used in a while? They seem pretty robust and the switch is a pretty simple system so doubt it can be anything seriously wrong?

Sounds like the contacts are not coming together for the negative connection unless you hold it out, so maybe just wants working a little especially if not used in a while? They seem pretty robust and the switch is a pretty simple system so doubt it can be anything seriously wrong?

Please expand on that, and how to attempt to effect a cure.

When using teh rifle yesterday evening I could pull the switch out and it would light up but only for 3 or 4 secs, this lead me to believe a new battery was needed, There is a spring coil under the cap, does this need pulling out a bit bit maybe,

I have tried holding a couple of batts in place using a finger as per the guidebook but to no avail. I assume the + side of the battery goes nearest the cap, have tried it both ways to no avail. Never had any issues with it before at all.

Thanks

A

When using teh rifle yesterday evening I could pull the switch out and it would light up but only for 3 or 4 secs, this lead me to believe a new battery was needed, There is a spring coil under the cap, does this need pulling out a bit bit maybe,

I have tried holding a couple of batts in place using a finger as per the guidebook but to no avail. I assume the + side of the battery goes nearest the cap, have tried it both ways to no avail. Never had any issues with it before at all.

Thanks

A

Ruag are no longer nightforce agents. It's now SportsmanGunCentre.

I recently sent an NXS back to USA through them for very same problem. Absolutely smooth, took about a month in total and, best of all, totally free!!.

Electrics are warranted 3 years, this scope is about 10 years old so think I might be on a dodgy wicket.

A

Thanks

A

Electrics are warranted 3 years, this scope is about 10 years old so think I might be on a dodgy wicket.

A

Mine was well more than 3 years old. Got a full service too and dust cleaned from reticle.

When you remove the battery cover, and the battery, you can see the metal "ring" inside the switch, surrounding the central plastic section which the negative side of the battery is held against by the spring inside the cover. Remove the battery cover and battery. Now pull up on the switch case until it locks into the "on" position. It should raise that ring to just above the plastic centre, so completing the circuit with the negative battery polarity when the battery is in place. It should be firmly in place and you should not easily be able to move it down.

If that is working as it should, then either there's a possibility of a damaged wiring connection or the battery is not being held firmly in place. You can see the wires leading off to the ret illumination from the battery connection.

Try pulling the battery spring out a little, replacing the battery, and working the switch to ensure you're happy that the negative ring contact is staying firmly in place.

Problem sorted, I had not tightened the cap up enough, seems it wants to be super tight, presumably to keep any moisture out.

Thanks for all your input,

A

Archived