6.5/47

onehole

Hi there anyone with a 6.5/47 and looking for lighter head load?Have just finished running in my rifle and neck turned cases and am embarking on firstly getting a good fast varmint load[look at vld stuff later] and have selected the 95 vmax to experiment with.There are not a lot of suggested loads out there on sites for this weight head and thought it would be good to post what I have found today just to help anyone else looking.I started at 39/vit 140 and spec was at least 5thou away from lands in a loaded round measuring 288.5 in a 290 necked chamber and fed gold primers.Action is an RPA fitted with a 8.5 krieger barrel measuring 26 inches long ahead of the recoil lug.This gave 3130 fps and was a very light load. 39.5 gave 3180 ,40 gave 3250,40.5 gave 3300 and my last load for the day was 41/140 which gave 3340 and although windy gave an indication for getting very close to an accurate node for that rifle, tight cloverleaving and primer indicating no pressure signs at all and a flattening starting to happen but with no sign of any cratering whatsover.I will be concentrating on this load and a further half a g as I feel it safe to do so in the near future if that wind will just go away for half a day!!!!I know there are other powders that will probably give me more but want to stick to single base powder if possible and look for the accuracy node

Must say I have not seen any official recommendations for this head but I was guided by the weight of 100g heads and vit 140 powder recommendations so it was just a seat of the pants thing and started a little below the maximum for the 100g,perhaps a little too close but this turned out to be a very light load as previously described but others take care please.

I think that this is going to be a flat shooting and hard hitting little combination.hope this bit of info was useful to someone.cheers Onehole.

I am thinking of getting my 243 rebarrelled in 6.5x47 ;) as I have had the chance to shoot Dave s(6mmbr) rifle up on F range in SennyBridge :lol: .

A nice flat shooting tool with plenty of grunt, an ideal round for deer and accurate to . :lol:

Please work up carefully, load safe in my rifle.

45gn N550 (a case full) 95 V max 10 thou off the lands, Rem 71/2 primer.

This gives an average of 3400fps out of a 26" Border Archer barrel 1in8.5 twist.

This load fair old launches them.

Cheers

Dave

I know its not what you asked for, but ive found that

39g Varget, under Fed match and 123g Scenar is very, very accurate. = 3000fps.

Its moderate - high pressure though, so if you choose to try this, please start 10% less and work up.

If you run the combination in Quickload, you see its just in the red.......

Loads of INTL on this cartridge on 6mmBR, but not for loads using under 120g bullets I am afraid.

You run the risk of getting puffs of grey smoke 100yds downrange, if you push the light stuff too fast :lol:

You run the risk of getting puffs of grey smoke 100yds downrange, if you push the light stuff too fast :lol:

If you drive the 95 V max at 3400fps you run the risk of getting puffs of ginger fur and red mist :lol:;)

Cheers

Dave

If you drive the 95 V max at 3400fps you run the risk of getting puffs of ginger fur and red mist ;);)

Cheers

Dave

YEA BABY!!!!!! Like the sound of that!!!!! :lol: :lol:

All the best................

RAY.......................................... ;) ;)

I gotta feeling I will get close to 3400 out of the Vit140 and still be safe,just as long as it is accurate too! also gotta feeling Vit540 will do even more???!!!!but that may eat my barrel and is not where I wanna be.Ere Varminter do big daddy type 58vmax,s do anything for you?????By Onehole.

Have shot 200 yds today in almost no wind and no surprise really that a relatively mild load the 40/140 gave the tightest group at 200 with the 95 vmax going inside a 1 inch circle and shots all touching.Have chronoed the loads again under a brighter cloud canopy and this load gives 3300 and no signs of pressure at all.I shot 40.5,41,41.5 but the accuracy did,nt show and I think 42g of 140 would start to crater and no where to go after that [apart from looking at another powder}so am well happy to at least have a varmint load to work with.I dont want to waist any more time with the varmint heads with this rifle and will now go on to the 120/130g vlds where I think this rifle will show its true colours.

By the way I must say that I took a shot at a 180 yard bunny with the 95 vmax and I have been bashing for a long long time now and observed what I can describe as a complete explosion of tissue that I have never seen or heard the effect of before!!!Awsome calibre and performance.cheers Onehole.

Archived