Custom 223...CZ527 Action

After running in circles for a while looking for a synthetic stock to re-house my elderly 527 Varmint in 223, I started a "wanted" advert only to be offered a Boyds thumb-hole stock by Edgar Bros the very same day (a one-off that they had in stock possibly as a cancelled customer order).

My intention was never to start out building a long range custom 223 using a CZ, it's just how things panned out after discovering shortly after purchase that the barrel was badly pitted (bore scope confirmed) and it wouldn't hold a group. As the dealer refused to provide any sort of refund or consideration even though the rifle grouped like a shotgun, I was left with little choice but to re-barrel the thing, but at least the short Mauser action is a sweet little action to use. (I will provide details of the dealer to anyone wanting to PM me to prevent the same thing happening to others. He is Gloucestershire based and best avoided judging by similar feedback from others).

I started by re-barrelling in LW50 stock Lothar Walther 26 inch match grade barrel, 1 in 8 twist. This was cut for my PEZ over-barrel mod and painted black in a durable finish (not Cerakote). This is actually heavier than the standard CZ527 barrel so whatever stock I had, would require inletting at the very least. I inlet the old stock myself and the barrel shot sub 0.5 from the word go but I knew there was more to come with some load development and I disliked the palm swell on the original stock so ideally was after a synthetic bedded stock when the Boyds came up.

This is what I have ended up with (Trigger's broom :lol: ):

IMG_0939_zpspgxywway.jpg

IMG_0940_zpsctaldjyy.jpg

IMG_0941_zpsc4rd06rd.jpg

IMG_0942_zps6jakbpfm.jpg

This was a custom Boyds stock and has a LOP of around 14.5 inches which was perfect for me.

I had the stock inlet for the new barrel and also had it properly bedded front and back, including recoil lug socket by having the factory stock milled out and bedded using cold casting Devcon epoxy/metal resin.

One piece Cozap Mount further aids action stiffness and accuracy and the rifle is finished off with a Leupold VX3 LR 4.5-14 x 50 long range hunting scope with LR ret which is perfect for my needs.

The rifle is used for long range corvid control where accuracy matters and for target use.

I'm hoping to do some further load development and range work over the next few weeks and will be running 69gr TMKs, 55r V-max and 55gr #1365 SBTs in it with Viht N133 ( N140 for the TMKs), plus CCI 450 primers.

All rebarreling/chambering and bedding work was carried out by Matt at HPS target rifles in Newent and as per usual, Matt has done a splendid job.

It's no longer a CZ 527 Varmint so suggestions on a postcard, just keep 'em clean ;)

First groups shot today and a little disappointed until I realised what had happened...had accidentally mixed my brass when reloading! How that happened and how I didn't notice is beyond me. Was scratching my head at a .62 inch best group and 1 inch worst when I realised there were three different makes of brass, some from a twice shot batch and some from a 4 times shot batch! That'll teach me to pay attention and not rush!

All up with scope and bipod, but excluding mod, it comes in at 11 lbs or 5Kg. Not a lightweight stalking rifle, but still plenty manageable and easy enough to lug up the hills. Stock is great...highly recommended. Gives perfect shoulder mount and eye naturally lines up with scope very comfortably. LOP is perfect. Can't recommend a Boyds stock highly enough. Great VFM and well made.

Archived