Prairie Dog shoot

dogfox

Hi

I am back from my prairie dog shoot and what a great time I had.I had some prairie dogs with the 6 Br pistol and the longest shot with it was 350 yards.

dscn0701wi9.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the prairie dog towns taken from the air by me when I flew in the ranches plane.

dscn0657yu0.jpg

All the brown dots you see in the photo are dog burrows.There where that many PD's it was unbelievable.

dscn0675ui9.jpg

I had the chance to play with lots of different toys.It was great fun.

Welcome back Dogfox,

Looks like you had a good time, and in some good ol' desolate South Dakota countryside..How's it feel like to be in the middle of nowhere, so far from civilisation backstops aren't necessary, hahah...What was the weather like?

JR

i bet you are glad to be back looks like you had a great time with some fantastic areas for long range work, very tidy bit of kit as well you have

JR

It was a great feeling to out in the middel of nowhere and see no street lights just the stars.There was lots of people out shooting PD's.The one day it was like the battle of the somme ;).The people were great in the states and so friendly towards hunters.We left our gear in a trailer when we slept in the hotel on the way up.Which is not something I would do in the UK.

The weather was great but windy.Which made shooting tricky :D:D .

When the hoards of PD's got to much for the single shot pistol and savage rifle.I had to turn to more fire power

dscn0680uo2.jpg

:D:P

And when they still kept coming I had to use this :P

dscn0671sh3.jpg

:lol:

Here Is a picture of some of the kit we took.Yes the ammo cans are all full

dscn0608oy6.jpg

Guest 308Panther

Glad to hear ya had great fun!!!

if you think S.Dakota is desolate you oughta try Nebraska....LOL.

It really is amazing how open our Great Plains is...and it doesnt take long to get 500yrd eyes either.

and like ya said too...about leavin things in the car,unlocked

Do it all the time at the firing ranges....if people know there are guns around,amazin how freindly they are and honest they are.

And now that your back home ...It seems like the buildings and things are close up to ya.

308Panther

Good to hear you had a great time buddy and thanks for sharing the experince :P :P

All the best............

RAY................. ;):lol:

Guest apollo
BB yes I did shot PD's with a 30 cal browning :lol: .I would have liked to use this.

dscn0758co4.jpg

But we did not take it to the PD town. :D

dscn0763nq0.jpg

If the ladies and gentlemen of gwent firearms department could see the smile that 50 cal is giving you they would have kittens

Damn, you makin me homesick, hahah..

Looks like them good ol' boys were pretty serious about their PD shootin', hah...Git 'er done!!..On the amount of ammo, 1000 rounds is often the bare minimum you bring. Ammo can be pretty cheap back home depending on what you shoot, and not regulated like here. I had access to a fairly active town back in SoDak, depending on the activity and where you were situated, you had regular shots from 100 yds or less to well past 1000 yds, and the town itself was probably 1/2-1 mile wide and over 4 miles long massing over the rolling hills. We kept that town location pretty secret amongst 5 of us, kept good ties with the rancher, and it remained active for a good 5 years until I moved here. Always a good laugh.

Hope you made some good acquaintences in Presho. The West River folk aren't too bad a folk. As you probably know now, West River is SoDak lingo for all those living west of the Missouri River, which splits the state in half, and not living in the Black Hills. If you drove across the state on Interstate 90 east to west, you probably noticed a stark contrast in scenery when you passed over the bridge at Chamberlain, and past the bluffs overlooking the River. East River, flat as a pancake, massive fields of corn and wheat, might have even been water in some pothole ponds and lakes, and it may have even been kind of green if they've had rain. West river sagebrush and tumbleweed country, usually dry as a popcorn fart, still relatively flat, massive pastureland littered with beef cattle and sometimes sheep. You can find yourself in the middle of nowhere quick in that neck of the woods.

JR

Hi JR

Here are a few pics to make you homesick.

dscn0649yv7.jpg

There were plenty of antlope about the place.Also turkey,whitetail deer,jackrabbits and mule deer.

dscn0654ao7.jpg

The ranch from the air.

dscn0637ft3.jpg

The river that run trough the ranch is the White river

The view when you come down the to the Missouri river was unbelievable.

The people were very friendly and I had a chat to a few folks at a shooting club.They are big into their pheasant shooting.

This is a photo of the rancher and his plane.With me in the back.

dscn0631kh4.jpg

He uses the plane to check over the ranch and it comes in handy for shooting coyotes :lol: .I hope I am as fit as him when I reach his age of 79 years.

Guest 308Panther

2 things you can count on when pd shooting.....

1) You will Not be runnin out of targets

2)You will be runnin out of ammo.

308Panther

Archived