FERRET ADVICE NEEDED

SteveW

When I was a youngster we kept ferrets, and I was looking to get a couple now, with the wife thinking they are for our son :);)

The question for you guys is what is best combination for a pair ie two jills, two hobs or one of each ??? Thought it would be better for their welfare to keep at least two together

I've dug out the few books I had at the time but they seem quite dated, and wondered if anyone could recommend some up to date reading on the subject.

Many thanks for any advice given

Cheers Steve

Go for 2 Jills,although i,ve had some cracking dog ferrets,the best workers i,ve had have been Jills.

The smaller the better,you don,t get the block-ups you do with a Hob.They seem to be able to get around a stubborn rabbit and bolt it more often.

Quite a sight to see a rabbit in the net with a ferret attached!

They also don,t smell as much,especially in spring when breeding season comes around...

I always seem to end up with 3,an albino,a polecat and a sandy...Covers most bases...oh yeah...got 3 at the moment :)

Hi Steve,

Ferret Breeding by James McKay is a good read, not just about breeding but has lots of info on general ferret welfare.

Rabbiting by Bob Smithson, excellent book for all ferret information.

Ferrets and Ferreting by Iain Brodie, an old book but a good book.

At the end of the day James McKay is regarded as a ferret god, he is normally found at the gamefairs at his stand. He is always happy to help and chat to fellow sportsmen if you can catch him when he's not to busy.

I only keep hobs myself now, having to breed the jills or take them out of season every year is to much hastle. A good team of ferrets should consist of two jills and a hob, that's the general consciences. The jills being run in relays or together if the bury is large enough, then the hob is put down to move the jills on if they kill below.

Having said that, with today's locator collars hobs are no longer needed. Once used as lined ferrets to locate the underground kills so they can then be dug too, a hob being bigger was more capable of towing the knotted line down below. Jills work quicker than hobs, being slight and more agile allowing them to cover ground faster.

So, my advice is - If you don't mind paying your vet for a jill jab every year, then get a couple of jills. If you don't mind having a litter of kits every year then get a hob as well. If like me, you don't mind a slower working ferret and you don't want the hastle that comes with a jill every year then get a couple of hobs.

Ferrets do like company, be it another ferret or you. Nothing wrong with keeping a single ferret, providing you can give it enough time.

Hope this is of some help to you,

All the best,

Jay.

Guest martin
When I was a youngster we kept ferrets, and I was looking to get a couple now, with the wife thinking they are for our son :);)

The question for you guys is what is best combination for a pair ie two jills, two hobs or one of each ??? Thought it would be better for their welfare to keep at least two together

I've dug out the few books I had at the time but they seem quite dated, and wondered if anyone could recommend some up to date reading on the subject.

Many thanks for any advice given

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve,If you are looking for a couple of ferts then I would be more than happy to let you have a couple.I have a couple of kits spare of this years lot,one Hob and One Jill,they are albino's and are from very good working stock.If you are interested then pm me,and,you can have them gratis,I just want to make sure that they are going to be worked as nature intended............................Martin.

here is a pic I took afew weeks ago....................

DSC_0017-3.jpg

Many thanks guys for all the replys,

Grasshopper & Jay, I was leaning towards the two jills option, and I think you guys have reinforced that idea with the mention of their agility/speed, with maybe getting a hob at a later date. Would this possible to introduce another ferret later on or would they fight ?? Another selling point for the wife will be reduced scent :lol:

Jay you sound very knowledgable on the subject many thanks for the book recommendations, I will attending the CLA next week, so I'l keep an eye out for

James Mckay and try to source a couple of those books.

Martin, thank you for the very generous offer it was grately appreciated :lol: but I want to make sure that I'm completely prepared and as well read on the subject as I can be, for the when they arrive, maybe in a couple of weeks time, but thanks again ;)

Cheers Steve

Many thanks guys for all the replys,

Grasshopper & Jay, I was leaning towards the two jills option, and I think you guys have reinforced that idea with the mention of their agility/speed, with maybe getting a hob at a later date. Would this possible to introduce another ferret later on or would they fight ?? Another selling point for the wife will be reduced scent :D

Jay you sound very knowledgable on the subject many thanks for the book recommendations, I will attending the CLA next week, so I'l keep an eye out for

James Mckay and try to source a couple of those books.

Martin, thank you for the very generous offer it was grately appreciated :D but I want to make sure that I'm completely prepared and as well read on the subject as I can be, for the when they arrive, maybe in a couple of weeks time, but thanks again :D

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve. When I used to catch rabbits for a living. I kept about 40 ferrets. and found no difference between the working abilitys of jills or hobs. I used to work 6 or 8 ferrets a day every day.in the season, but towards the end I went in for the very big hobs and I mean big and found that the hobs either bolted the rabbit or killed it.,and then went on to the next one. some of the rabbit setts were as big as 300 holes so you can see I needed some strong stock hope this is of some help. Eric

Hi Steve. When I used to catch rabbits for a living. I kept about 40 ferrets. and found no difference between the working abilitys of jills or hobs. I used to work 6 or 8 ferrets a day every day.in the season, but towards the end I went in for the very big hobs and I mean big and found that the hobs either bolted the rabbit or killed it.,and then went on to the next one. some of the rabbit setts were as big as 300 holes so you can see I needed some strong stock hope this is of some help. Eric

Thanks Eric

Must have been a great way to earn your living, why did you change/stop ?? I just read my son your post, he said "daddy can we get 40" just about to run it past the wife !!!

Many thanks for the help.

Cheers Steve

Thanks Eric

Must have been a great way to earn your living, why did you change/stop ?? I just read my son your post, he said "daddy can we get 40" just about to run it past the wife !!!

Many thanks for the help.

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve. The main reason I stopped ferreting was it became easier to catch rabbits in cages using sliced carrots as bait

and the keepers used to shoot between 60 and 90 a night. Then myxi turned up about 4 years ago and the rabbit population went down hill and as yet it as not recovered to the levels it once was. Then I took early retirment So now I just ferret for fun or help out the local keeper when he needs it. Mainly I do full time fox control. ie 5 nights aweek sometimes 7 at the right time. my wife Joan is my lamper and she is very good at it. So you can see we have a great time . Eric

Archived