Slow day so thought I would post this from a few weeks back, for some reason it still makes me smile when I think of the evening. Makes a change from a numb bum in a high seat B)

One of the farms I shoot has a private garden and lawns of about 40 acres!!!!

I carry out vermin control on the farm and surrounding land.

The owner was complaining that he saw some deer munching through his roses the other day ;)

Didn't take long to splutter out that I also shot deer, had an open ticket, was DSC 1 and an ex-slaughter man :D

Well needless to say I now control the Munty on the land too.

First evening I slid into position in the base of a hedgerow looking out across the gardens. I was on a rise looking across a depression to a second rise at 130 meters and another long hedgerow with a gateway on the brow of the hill.

Darkness crept in as I watched a green woodpecker. All was calm and peaceful.

A fine drizzle started to fall and continued for the remainder of the evening.

I lay in the base of the hawthorn hedge for over an hour watching the rabbits and wished I had brought the .22rim with me.

I was studying the area when I noticed a movement in the gateway on the brow of the hill, a munty was moving across the skyline.

I glassed the area and lay there with the hope it would move into the garden and onto lower ground. After a couple of minutes browsing and studying the area it started a gentle tiptoe into the beds.

I watched from my vantage point and confirmed the deer was a doe and watched for any other followers but no youngster in tow.

I then took the chance to study her through the scope on high magnification and saw she was fit, well and pregnant.

As she walked through the bed I couldn't take a clear shot due to the shrubs, however there was a point where the bed ended and I would be able to take the shot as she crossed the lawn to the next bed.

I shifted position and got ready, I had already pinged the spot at 120 meters, no wind and the drizzle continued.

After 4 or 5 minutes she stepped tentatively out onto the lawn, I let her come fully out just in case she timed a quick lunge into the next piece of cover as I shot.

She stood side on to me and watched the lawns for just enough time for me to slip off the safety, settle the crosshair and squeeze.

Clear sound of impact, spray of water off the coat at the base of the neck and she crumpled on the spot.

IMGP2175.jpg

Only down side with a memorable evening was repairing the 4" wide 6" long groove cut into the lawn as the 100 grain soft point found a safe backstop B)

Well done!! :DB)

And a very nice writeup too!!!

Sounds like you are a bit of a golfer too!! must repair them divots after the shot!!!! ;)B)

All the best....................

RAY...................................... :D;)

Did you look and find the bullet? Always nice when that happens.

No, I searched but no luck, would have been nice to have kept it on the shelf in "Dad's Room"

I did once pull a soft point out of the lower neck of a big Fallow buck, memories come flooding back every time I spot it on the shelf :)

I know what you mean. Ive still got the tip out my first Red stag that i shot at the age of ten. It was retreaved out of the outer wall of the biest when it was hung up in the larder.

Them were the days... :)

Ads

Guest Beowulf

What a great report Goldfish, your land permission sounds very much like my own; only today I watched a pregnant muntjac doe visiting the farmer's compost heap. For me the garden is off limits as his wife likes to see the deer on the lawns, I will have to wait until the deer start chewing away at the young parnips in the veg plot before I get the green light. A great bit of writing! :blush:

Slow day so thought I would post this from a few weeks back, for some reason it still makes me smile when I think of the evening. Makes a change from a numb bum in a high seat ;)

One of the farms I shoot has a private garden and lawns of about 40 acres!!!!

I carry out vermin control on the farm and surrounding land.

The owner was complaining that he saw some deer munching through his roses the other day ;)

Didn't take long to splutter out that I also shot deer, had an open ticket, was DSC 1 and an ex-slaughter man :D

Well needless to say I now control the Munty on the land too.

First evening I slid into position in the base of a hedgerow looking out across the gardens. I was on a rise looking across a depression to a second rise at 130 meters and another long hedgerow with a gateway on the brow of the hill.

Darkness crept in as I watched a green woodpecker. All was calm and peaceful.

A fine drizzle started to fall and continued for the remainder of the evening.

I lay in the base of the hawthorn hedge for over an hour watching the rabbits and wished I had brought the .22rim with me.

I was studying the area when I noticed a movement in the gateway on the brow of the hill, a munty was moving across the skyline.

I glassed the area and lay there with the hope it would move into the garden and onto lower ground. After a couple of minutes browsing and studying the area it started a gentle tiptoe into the beds.

I watched from my vantage point and confirmed the deer was a doe and watched for any other followers but no youngster in tow.

I then took the chance to study her through the scope on high magnification and saw she was fit, well and pregnant.

As she walked through the bed I couldn't take a clear shot due to the shrubs, however there was a point where the bed ended and I would be able to take the shot as she crossed the lawn to the next bed.

I shifted position and got ready, I had already pinged the spot at 120 meters, no wind and the drizzle continued.

After 4 or 5 minutes she stepped tentatively out onto the lawn, I let her come fully out just in case she timed a quick lunge into the next piece of cover as I shot.

She stood side on to me and watched the lawns for just enough time for me to slip off the safety, settle the crosshair and squeeze.

Clear sound of impact, spray of water off the coat at the base of the neck and she crumpled on the spot.

IMGP2175.jpg

Only down side with a memorable evening was repairing the 4" wide 6" long groove cut into the lawn as the 100 grain soft point found a safe backstop :wub:

nice one ,

Archived