4.6x30

Guest Tiff

I've never come across this round before, until a mate gave me a few handfuls from the police range today.

Apparently it is used in the new MP7. So what is it's civilian equivalent name/what is it derived from, a pistol case I guess?

It looks an excellent alternative to the .22/.17 hornet - no rim, boxer small pistol primed and efficient looking case. Plus thousands of very cheap RG cases available.

Are there any rifles that will take this rather cute looking little case?

Cheers Tiff.

N.B. sorry if this should be in the rifles section - my computer seems to have trouble posting in there - keeps on freezing!

tiff,

Have a look over on saubier.com. It is a US site for sub caliber enthusiasts. Over there anything over 22 is a big gun and there is no such thing as too small. A few of the guys have taken the 4.6x30 and 5.7x28 and made them into 17 and 20 caliber. Search around for 17 velociraptor. The idea is that it makes a rimless hornet case basically. Just a little more pep than an HMR and reloadable.

As for guns, I don't know of any bolt guns for them yet (there was talk about a CZ coming up) but you can get barrels made for them for just about anything. I thought about getting the 17 velociraptor barrel for my encore, but the rim is actually beneficial for the encore and there is a lot more info on the ackley hornet available.

Thanks

Rick

Thanks very much for the info. If PTG could do a spare bolt body it looks like the projet might be a go. Interesting that HK chose a .177 diameter round as opposed to .172 everyone else uses? I've got a few fired bullets here and they all seem to have driving bands on!

Would it be worth stocking up on a few 1,000 RG cases....I can get them for 4p each!

Any other info greatly appreciated.

Archived