I am looking at replacing some Geovids with one of these 'The Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30' a couple of chaps on here use them and I like the look of them however before I commit more of my hard earnt to them I would be interested in knowing of others experiences of them as well as any other options worth considering (good and bad). Must be good for 900m+, meters read out, not to fussed about light weight but must be able to withstand some inclement weather from time to time.

The less I have to spend on these the quicker I can buy my new .223!

Thanks for that. I will be using them mainly on steel gongs and foxes, nothing ridiculously small! Just looked at the Zeiss 8x26 PRF nice bit of kit and range wise looks good, not sure if I want the ballistic inputs tho, I am a bit old fashioned, tables and charts but it might be a nice extra.

Thanks for that. I will be using them mainly on steel gongs and foxes, nothing ridiculously small! Just looked at the Zeiss 8x26 PRF nice bit of kit and range wise looks good, not sure if I want the ballistic inputs tho, I am a bit old fashioned, tables and charts but it might be a nice extra.

I don't use them on mine as they don't match my ballistics, I just have it set up to range. The optics are very clear and it has a good FOV

These all look good bits of kit and similarly priced, I know Leica / Zeiss / Swarovski are well known optics manufacturers. Have used Leica and Swarovski before. I think its time to do the ring round to see who has the best deals out there on Monday.

Also have had a shout about Sig Sauer Kilo 2000 anyone got one / thoughts?

I have one....ranged bare trees to over 1300 but nt had cane yet to test extreme claims.

It's super quick on most targets such as buildings.

I want it to go to 2000 on gongs etc.....shooting on Salisbury plain next week so we will see what happens in real world!

Dave, Thanks for that would be interested in the real world usage / performance update. Would say PM me but I am sure such feedback would be useful to the community as a whole. Will do my ring around anyway and post up my findings but maybe you could share your experiences? Good shooting this week, enjoy!

Thank you all for the input and PM's. I have taken the plunge and gone to sportsmans for a Leica Ringmaster Crf 1600b. Got good reviews and press off forum members and as LONG RANGE CAPT showed a decent price on the unit. Will report back on how it does in the 'real world' looking forward also to see how the temp and barometric pressure readings stack up against my trusted Kestrel NV wind meter readings.

UPDATE ----> Delivery time 4-6 weeks as not in stock so I will post the update ASP afterwards

Thank you all for the input and PM's. I have taken the plunge and gone to sportsmans for a Leica Ringmaster Crf 1600b. Got good reviews and press off forum members and as LONG RANGE CAPT showed a decent price on the unit. Will report back on how it does in the 'real world' looking forward also to see how the temp and barometric pressure readings stack up against my trusted Kestrel NV wind meter readings.

Highly recommend the 1600b. I use them myself and find them to be very good. Great display on them and very fast aswell. The ballistic program matches my ballistic program perfectly out to about 550 yards. I have used on foxes at night to 350 yards. I can't recommend them highly enough. And very compact into the bargain.

• 3 weeks later...

PART 1 - Right then.... The parcel has arrived, it was a bit annoying having to wait after paying and being told it was in stock but never mind....

First impressions are well packaged, smart looking kit and all good to go with the battery supplied (its one of those odd sized lithium batteries that not all shops stock). Very easy to set up for meters to yards (not a physical switch but a software setting) and then its good to go. The unit is much smaller than I imagined but in a good way, compact and light and would fit into the utility pocket on most smocks no problems, the buttons are big enough to use with gloves on if needed.

The optics are very clear and bright and the diopter setting allowed me to set the unit up for my eyesight very easily. The ranging is as intuitive as with the other leica products I have used and the scan setting is handy as well. I have only tried it out in a woodland setting at the moment so not stretched the range capabilities but it did give me chance to try out the other functions....

Angle of incline/decline, temperature, pressure. All easily accessed from button 2. I noticed that the temperature adjusts very well (quickly) from indoors to outdoors temp, the instruction book says 30 mins for this but I found it quicker albeit from 18 degrees to 6 outside it was very quick and then back to inside temps. Again Xref to my NV4000 wind meter for comparison.

Hopefully I am off to the shoot over the weekend so I can test the unit to 1000m when I can say more about it over 'know distances' in real world conditions. I may then run some comparisons between the ballistic function on it against my own data and try it out to see how it stacks up but that will be a project for next week / Part 2. Hope this helps anyone who is considering buying the unit. Any questions if I can help shout up / PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived