A BIG OLD RED ONE

nemasis243

I had a call on Friday from on estate that one of the tenent farmers had been loosing Chickens so last nite I went to see if I could so something about it .

The new chicken pen had been built along an old stone wall ,and was made out of metal panels the type you see on building sites for stopping access.

I had a good look at it and noticed that in one corner of the pen there a few bricks missing but were covered by thistles, the hole being about 5inches , I looked closely and there were feathers inside the hole were the fox had pulled it through. The wall is about about 16inches thick and the other side a few more stones had fallen awy over the years ,leaving the whole slightly bigger.

I put my hand in and the last 8inches were about the 5" size, one hell of a sqeeze for a charlie but a cud well on cub would slide in and out more easily.

I sat out in the field for an hour waiting for the light to go ,last night it seemed to stay light for ages,just as it was nearly time to use the lamp, I saw movement in the thick thistles thoughout the field , Put the scope to my eye and here was Charlie out hunting making his way towards the wall.

I thought thats never the fox that went through there it was to big, anyway he got to the wall had a little sniff and for a couple of minutes he mooched unsure of what had been by the hole.Next thing this old Basil was head in and trying to push his way in unawear that on the other side I had blocked it of with a pile of rubble, next he backed out then dived in for another go , he did this 4times and by now the light had gone so I had the lamp on his ass end ,I didnt want to shoot him up the back end so as he backed out he just looked round and it was a 58grn Vmax from a 243 that gave him one hell of a headache.

I couldnt believe that he could of got through that hole but he knew were he was trying to get to , Finished off by laying a pile of sand in and outside the hole to see if any body elses footprints are on it to nite.

28022008069.jpg

I have used the sand many times before round dead sheep and when you think you solve a problem in a day or two you seem to find that there is something else having a meal there.

Cheers Andy

I like the sand idea, :) I was having a drink with one of the local farmers last night who said his wife had lost 2 birds the night before, I am going to have a look tonight, they have a dry stone wall to one side of the pen, and he thinks this is where charlie might be getting in. I''ll take a bag of sand with me just in case, thanks for the tip.

Bees

Nice one Andy!!!! ;):lol:

You obviously caught one of the culprits in the act , so i hope you and your farmer friend is happy with your result!!! :D

Oh yes them 58 v-maxs do the business ;) as long as its not in a 20 mph wind!!! :) (blowing around like dandelion seeds come to mind !!! )..........

All the best Captin !!!!!!!!! :D

RAY............................................ ;):D

"A Big Old Red One" ;):);)

I wondered what the post was going to be on ;) after our chat about local girls and foot prints on the roof of the car, the other night :D Is that where you got the idea for the sand from :lol:

Great result on old ginger and will be in touch soon.

Cheers

Dave

Archived