new rem700

Nothing exciting here just for anyone who cares, got a new rem a couple of weeks back in 22-250, I have wanted a 22-250 for ages and had to have one. I hadnt been expecting it to be very accurate being a "stock rifle" and all and was thinking I would play with it for a few months and blueprint and rebarrel it in 22-250 ai but after a play with some factory ammo I think it has potential for good accuracy, this is 10 shots from brand new with sako factory ammo, they are a bit scattered as I was adusting the scope but its looking ok, though I cut my teeth on 200/300 yard groups, I dont think 100 yards tells much of a story but it is a good starting point, and this was with a 6 lb trigger off the bipod on a rifle I have never shot before. The stock is very different than what I am used too especially in the grip being far more vertical leaving far more room to get your finger at the trigger, not sure if I prefer that yet or not time behind the trigger will tell. It looks like with a good load it will easily break 1/2 inch at 100 yards and hopefully it can keep it around 1 1/2-2 inch at 300 yards, dont think it will beat my tac20 though its holding under 1 inch at 300 yards with my vhit133/40g v-max load.

I mounted up another VX3 8.5 -25 X50, I have one on the cooper and really like it, tracks perect, optically its decent and hasnt let me down yet, put it on burris sig rings and farrel 2 pc bases, 2 pc bases might seem an odd choice but I am not too used to fedding a mag so wanted 2 pc so I could get my paws in there and work out what I am doin.

Shot this bunny with it a circa 200 yards just to blood it up

DigitalCamera306.jpg

10 shots from the box with the 22-250

DigitalCamera312.jpg

while I was setup at 100 yards I thought I may as well check the cooper, typical group from the cooper, ok I cheated a little its a 3 shot group but they were the last 3 I had with me, it measured just over 0.100.

DigitalCamera310.jpg

That is very nice shooting Craig. Was wondering how you were getting on with your new rifle. What do you think of the noise it produces compared to the Tac?

Have you got tooled up yet to start reloading for the 22-250? The 3 shot group from the Cooper is outstanding, you certainly have a good load developed for her.

Im in the process of applying for the CZ 527, was very pleased with the deal Murvin gave me.

Mate of mine has exactly same rifle but in 308.

We've changed the trigger to a Timney (his choice not mine) and added a one piece 0degree Farrell rail just to stiffen the actio.

Shoots similar bug holes now and he's well pleased with it - as you should be with yours mate :);)

I believe Baldie has offered some excellent advice on ajusting the new Rem trigger unit, follow the instructions to the letter :)

Looks good Craigyboy, I used to have one before rebarreling it to .22-250 AI.

A load which shot superbly out of the old rifle was 40gn V max 35.6gn N135 with the bullet set at SAAMI length of 2.350"

Good luck with her

Cheers

Dave

Thanks lads. Andy I already adjusted the std unit to a decent pull weight but you just cant get the creep out, its like 2 stages "crunch, crunch, BANG" I sent the jewell I got back as it was indeed a rare faulty one and I am now waiting on a shilen one from midwayuk, I dont know how long it will last with the std barrel its a real bitch to clean, the cooper fouling is real bad in it but ill give it a chance.

Dave I will give that laod a try if I can get my hands on some vhit135 I have 133 sitting here but Its reserved for my tac20 :) Powder is like golddust round here, luckily I have a good stock, I have some reloader 7 I am gonna try, its a bit fast but suprisingly enough I have found loads of data for it on the net so it must work ok, also have a tub of benchmark to try, it should work well.

Brendan that CZ is a beauty, if its anything like my mates one it should shoot real well, I dont notice any difference in noise from the 22-250 over the tac20 though have to admit when I am shooting I hardly notice any noise, all rifles seem real quiet when I am behind the trigger even .303's, different story when I am standing behind one, then its loud. I am just about to start some loading today for it, taking it to the range next week along with the tac20 so will need plenty of ammo.

Not a bad group from the gun when pulling on a 6llb trigger mate :) , would be interesting to see what it would be like if you had something a bit sweeter to sqeeze, I would think it would tighten a bit,nice looking piece of kit

You will find the Shilen trigger first class ( dont mess with it )usually set at 2lbs, mine were and nice feel. The benchmark is very good in the 22-250 same as varget but more consistent, I use the book load 33.6 grs with fed 210m primer , rem case light neck cleanup and 55gr Vmax set .020" off the lands. It shoots so well I have never changed from that and 3-500yd groups are excellent, about 3650 fps. I still sometimes play with the varget and 50gr vmax, you can get 4000 fps with the 26" barrel but accuracy drops off and 3600+ is plenty.

Enjoy

Redfox

remmy 700`s are just so sweet my 22-250 vssf loves 55grn v max 34.5 grn varget and an over all lenth of 2.460 " work out at 3535 fps . gave my mate some of my load in his vssf 2 loved it as well

also federal v shok the blue box flys well

all the best with her craigyboy you will love your new rifle

all the best bruxie

You will like the Shilen, I have them on my Rems.

I like the CG better though. :)

Archived