Last but not least...

Went out last night on a farm that I control Deer on. For the past 10 year I’ve taken 5 Bucks off it per season. I don’t single out any particular beast like some stalkers claim to do, I just take the bucks that present themselves for a nice stalk. This is a working farm after all and the amount of Roe on it I don’t want to be picky.

Anyway, I left the house at half eight and headed up onto this particular farm. I pulled in off the farm road down the bottom of the glen to have a glass up on the Hill. Straight away I spotted a beast. The wind is coming down the glen so we are in for a good stalk. I pulled the Landy in off the track into a gateway and put her broadside so I could get prepared behind it without being spotted. Two mins later im off using the ditch as my dead ground. I got down to a massive reed bed and belly crawled up to an old fence post were I intended in taking the shot from (80 yards from buck). Just as I got there soaking wet from the wet reeds I looked up to see him out in front at 90 yards and stood grazing. I settled the rifle on the post and chambered a round. Seconds later he looked up and came running back down off the hill into the same reed beds im sat in. Not once did he stop for a shot. So now he is stood 25 yards in front of me and I cant get off a shot as the post isn’t high enough for a clear shot. I sat still as the buck walked down wind of me. At this point his head goes back and he’s winded me. He continued to walk round me until he disappeared into dead ground back out in front. All the time he is giving off a single bark. He knows something is wrong but doesn’t know what. I could hear him walking away up the glen barking but could not see him. Taking a gamble I banked on him exiting the dead ground and heading up onto the brae face on the left hand side of the glen. I pinged the brae face and it comes back 308 yards. I dialed in the correction and sat patiently. I couldn’t believe it 2 mins later when he appeared in the fresh grass patch I had just pinged. I waited and he presented nicely broad side; I was quite confident of both the rifle and scope and went for a neck shot. Here he is…….

buck.jpg

Not a nice head but has to be the biggest buck I’ve shot this season. After the gralloch he was full of fat deposits all up the spine and around the kidneys etc…..

That’s the end of the Cull for this ground. That’s my 5 beasts for the year. Not bad considering the Rut aint started yet. :)

Ads :)

The "old" Ack Imp sell doing the do for you Ads :)

Chris,

This rifle has killed a hell of alot of Deer. Its just getting to the end of its life now and will only group 3/4" groups now. This is a rifle that used to place 5 shots into the .1 and .2 inch groups in stalking conditions.

The shot was a good one for stalking anyway. Its about the furthest i like to take deer to ensure a clean kill, i did take a buck on the same ground this year further out than this shot and that was with Bruxie's 22.250. The shot was made easier as the night before we had been shooting bunnies with his rifle out to 450 yards so confidence in his rifle was high. For me anyway.

Ads ;)

Guest northernchris

As you say Ads its all about haveing "confidence" in yourself AND your rifle.You saw yourself what dialed shots can do like on that crow and the rabbits :)

Thats exactly what its all about. I put about a1000 rounds through that rifle just shooting bunny and crows etc....The confidence i had in that rifle was un-believable. The barrel is shot out now and fire cracked to buggery and im not so confident in it.

It's going to be going away very soon for a new barrel, thinking on a LW not the one i spoke about last week. :wub:

YHPM

Ads

Archived