Tapeworm cysts..............

Guest martin

Guest martin

I have been amazed in the last 6months how many tapeworm cysts I have been finding in the rabbits around my area,here is an especially large one that I got the other night.............................

DSC_0002-15.jpg

DSC_0008-3.jpg

I was just wondering if anyone else is finding a lot more this year,and,if anyone had any ideas as to why there should be so many.It's not like I have just been doing this a short while,and,in the last 30+ yrs I have had the odd ones,but,never this amount.I also wonder if you would use the rest of the rabbit(seems cyst free)to feed your dogs,I have a few in the freezer at the moment,and,I was going to leave them in there for 3-4wks and then give them to the dogs,what would you do?Cut out the cyst and use the rabbit for the dogs,or,ditch the whole rabbit?..............................Martin

Thats interesting as I have one piece of land where I would shoot Rabbits and these in turn have tape worms , these rabbits were often scawny things which never seemed in good condition, the only thing that was different about the ground is there were a lot of horses there, I dont know if that makes any difference?

I find about one in ten infected. They are fox worms, so the vacinity of horses wont effect the life cycle of the worm which uses the rabbit and fox as its host at different points. The worms only form into adult tapeworms in the gut of the fox when its eaten the eggs in an infected rabbit.

I bin any infected rabbits. Plenty enough about.

Have to agree with replies so far, just bin them if in doubt.DONT feed them to your dogs as they will infect them. Chunk is right horses dont play a part in the life cycle niether do humans, but wouldnt want to eat them :rolleyes:

Nell

Archived