Another good night 222 this time

Redfox

Went out monday night after working until after 6pm ( from 7.30am) and was quite happy to just sit in the truck from 9pm onwards.

Nothing showed until about quarter to ten and going dark ( same farm as the other night ) then a cub was seen about 300yds off and behind a hedge which was just low enough to shoot over when I moved the truck onto a ridge in the field, about 240 yds off the fox which was sat up. I quickly got out the 222 and got set ( although seem to have a chest infection and coughing a lot)I aimed just above its chin with a fair right to left breeze. When I fired I could see it was hit ( 222 is good for this) as it rolled over backwards and then ran to the right through a hedge, my mate as usual did his Harry Enfield impression insisting it wasnt hit. We sat for about fifteen minutes and another youngster showed in our field about 100yds off and to the right nice clean shot in the middle and it was drt. We sat again for a while and saw a fox crossing the field the first one was shot in, from left to right, had to move the truck to get to see over the hedge so went to the left and onot a hump. My mate flicked the light on and there are three pairs of eyes spread in a line to our right. I whispered might get two, but not all three and so I said go for the furthest away, Shot that and saw it flattened at 180 yds, he then swung the light and the nearest had gone right and the middle one went left.

Waited a couple of minutes and then went through the gate into the field, drove over to the shot one which was laid right where it was sat and well dead, took a pic and then we went down the field towards where the left going cub had goneand it was there at the far end, I told him to keep the light low an it wandered across to our right and then laid down in a clump of grass. Lined up on it and frired, again it rolled over then got up and ran 15 yards or so to the hedge but struggling. We waited five mins and then drove over with head lights on and H. E was wrong again said Id missed, it was dead in the hedge bottom with a fist sized hole through the middle slightly back from the heart area ,which was why it managed a few yards.

We then went back into the original big field and sat looking into the gateway of the field to the right of us and the field where the kills had been. after about ten -fifteen mins my mate said there is one there but a long way off ( lasered it at 450 yds ), so I said there is a house directly behind them and I cant see any body due to them being just over the crown of the field, they will either stay being cubs or go like the clappers.

I drove in the gate and kept hard left up the hedge side, finally one got up and ran down into the bottom of the dip and left into the hedge bottom ( safe shot ) made the mistake of stopping for a look back and that one was drt , about 120yds.

My mate said the other one is still there and shone the light on the bloody fence well over a 100yds to the right and kept sayin it s there, well I couldnt see anything only a dead log but he kept saying its there!!!,eventually he dropped the beam a bit and I could see it laid down about 40 yds into the field n( I keep telling him is glasses are knackered ) so I drove slowly towards it and it lifted its head at about 20 feet but didnt get up, quickly squinted down the side of the barrel ( an old trick for close shots learned years ago) and shot it in the middle. When we walked up to it it was the one he insisted I missed earlier, It had a large part of its neck missing and had lost a lot of blood but the bullet had missed the carotid artery and so It was dying slowly, second shot had of course killed it instantly and nearly blown it in half.

I will try to post pics but the camera is an older Agfa digital and I need to fire up the old pc to download them as it doesnt save them as Jpg's, thanks to the B$%%^^$stards who stole the Olympus out of the truck a few weeks back, I use this now as it isnt worth much and they wouldnt be able to get pics off it either :unsure:

Vixen.jpg

The colours are a bit nasty but you can see the neck wound and the middle at close range one.

Redfox

Good going, spotting fallen foxes at night can be a bit tricky sometimes or is it time for your mate to visit Specsavers :unsure:

Sorry to here about your camera :lol: there some real scrotes around sadly :lol:

Looking foward to some pics from the old steam powered camera :huh:

Cheers

Dave

Archived