Brass neck thickness

Funky Bunch

Hi

not sure if this will tell you anything new to the replies on 6mm .....

Chris Bekker wrote some articles on throat dimensions and refers to some work done by Dr Geoff Kolbe (may be on the Border site??), and also Mike Bellam

www.bellmtcs.com/FAQ/ChamberThroats101.

happy reading

Brass can flow into the neck making it thicker. This will cause problems if you are using a tight neck.

Details of the rifle chamber neck size, caliber and brass thickness would help to check things. A tight neck should have between 1 and 2 thou (.001 and .002) of clearance between the chamber neck and the outside of a loaded rounds neck. Never below 1 (.001) thou.

My 6mm tight neck is .270 in the rifle, my loaded rounds neck OD is .2684, giving me 1.6 thou of clearance. I use a .266 bush in the neck die.

Only use Lapua on this one but I never had any issues with neck thickness using Winchester brass in a standard 22.250.

A

Funky,

I had problems with Winchester 300wsm brass, when i went to neck turn, after expanding with the expanderon there was enough spring-back at the neck/shoulder junction to stop the mandrel of the neck turning from passing this point,in other words a sort of do-nut in new brass.

To cure it i purchased the K&N .30 cal carbide mandrel/do-nut cutter for the neck turning tool.

Ian.

Archived