a couple young ones again

ejg223

It stopped raining for a little while, so out I went.

Foxes haven't got the greatest eye site. I walked in full view

although about 380m away towards two foxes chasing rabbits

in the sun. I settled on the highest setting of the 25" bipod because

of the high grass and watched them for a while. One of them started

to move closer to me . I took him at 120m. Not happy with shot placement

should have taken the shoulder or higher. This one ran for about 30yds.

Good heart shot but the 55gr nos bt's open more like a game bullet and

seem less explosive.

On the way back got a rabbit free standing at 60 yds and glassed the valley

for a few more minutes. Saw something yellow wizz along and first thought it was a cat,

Bino said fox cub, about 150yds. Threw the rifle on some old farm machine that was dumped.

I actually had a good rest and the poor sucker went down. Then another was runnin around

about 80yds further out, he also dropped. In that moment I thought ... what a rifle.

edi

Image167.jpg

Hi ejg, nice going on the foxes, the long grass is a bitch at the moment for getting shots on the ground. Picked up the 22-250 last week, starting too like it, shot a 10 shot group at 100m that was just over .6 of an inch and that was with 55g sako game point ammo, I am going to load some 55g bliztkings and benchmark to see how they will go, I like the seirra blitzking bullets, I used them in the .204 for a while when I could get them and they work perfect on small game and they should be good at longer range as they have a bc of .271!!!

Hi ejg, nice going on the foxes, the long grass is a bitch at the moment for getting shots on the ground. Picked up the 22-250 last week, starting too like it, shot a 10 shot group at 100m that was just over .6 of an inch and that was with 55g sako game point ammo, I am going to load some 55g bliztkings and benchmark to see how they will go, I like the seirra blitzking bullets, I used them in the .204 for a while when I could get them and they work perfect on small game and they should be good at longer range as they have a bc of .271!!!

Craig, I loved the sako's in the 223. Those bullets are made for roe, but expand well. Didn't exit on foxes every now and then.

if you are down south once we could bed the remmy if you want, maybe get a sika while at it.

Varget works quite well in my 22-250, the nos bt's are'nt that bad on the bc either but where a bit finicky until they printed well.

What I found interesting was that every time I go out I test a new stock out of my production, mostly get lighter in weight but they all

shoot at the same point of inpact. The original plastic stock would be one or two inches off.

How is the shape of that remmy laminated stock?

edi

Well done Edi, I think it's going to be a summer of dodging the rain.

We've got long grass as well I hope they get to top it off soon.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks,

are you getting out lately?

setup will be for sale soon. only 260 rounds.

edi

Not getting out as often as I would like. Due to all this damn rain alot of hay and silage is still standing around here. It's perect cover for charlie and they know it!! :unsure: Still it can't rain forever :huh:

What rifle are you thinking of changing to if you don't mind me asking?

Paul.

Craig, I loved the sako's in the 223. Those bullets are made for roe, but expand well. Didn't exit on foxes every now and then.

if you are down south once we could bed the remmy if you want, maybe get a sika while at it.

Varget works quite well in my 22-250, the nos bt's are'nt that bad on the bc either but where a bit finicky until they printed well.

What I found interesting was that every time I go out I test a new stock out of my production, mostly get lighter in weight but they all

shoot at the same point of inpact. The original plastic stock would be one or two inches off.

How is the shape of that remmy laminated stock?

edi

Ejg I will have to get down and have a craic at a sika. I had been thinking of bedding this rifle as I have a morticer here which I use for making doors etc, it is just like a pillar drill only the base moves by turning the wheels, would be perfect for inletting with the right bits.

Not getting out as often as I would like. Due to all this damn rain alot of hay and silage is still standing around here. It's perect cover for charlie and they know it!! ;) Still it can't rain forever :D

What rifle are you thinking of changing to if you don't mind me asking?

Paul.

Paul,

I don't really mind the cover or high grass that much, use it for your own cover and shoot em at 20 yds. Great fun.

300yds off a bench is so much easier than 150 off a wobbly fence post.

I'll change either to remmy or tikka. I'd like to make a stock mould for one of them. To develope a stock one has

to use it and find the niggles. So I'd shoot and adjust the prototype for a while.

Still think the howa is a great rifle. So simple and reliable. Shoots 1/4".

Come September I'll use the 308 for deer anyway. Fox won't mind either.

edi

Well done Edi, I think it's going to be a summer of dodging the rain.

We've got long grass as well I hope they get to top it off soon.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, we all have the same problems.

but..... every time I look across to the uk weather you seem to have

5 to 10 deg more than the we have here.

buggers.

edi

Archived