Help needed with Barnes TSX load

njc110381

Hey guys. I'm having some issues loading my Barnes TSX. Probably nothing major but wanted to run it past you as some of you are pretty clever in this area.

I've loaded up some 130 grn heads in my 6.5x55. I did notice though that the bullets are longer than a head with lead in it, so I feel I should be careful with the minimum OAL?

I've loaded them .030 off the lands rather than follow the minimum OAL in the book (it doesn't list TSX in 6.5) which brings them out at 3.190. That's pretty long! I'm scared that if I seat them to min OAL I'll put the pressure up because the case capacity will be pushed down? Is that right?

Hey guys. I'm having some issues loading my Barnes TSX. Probably nothing major but wanted to run it past you as some of you are pretty clever in this area.

I've loaded up some 130 grn heads in my 6.5x55. I did notice though that the bullets are longer than a head with lead in it, so I feel I should be careful with the minimum OAL?

I've loaded them .030 off the lands rather than follow the minimum OAL in the book (it doesn't list TSX in 6.5) which brings them out at 3.190. That's pretty long! I'm scared that if I seat them to min OAL I'll put the pressure up because the case capacity will be pushed down? Is that right?

hi

now I'm no expert but i think barns state to start .050 tho of the lands,as the bullets like a jump.all so i do believe you can use slightly more powder, but work up slowly is the order of the day.

have a look here it may be of help

http://www.barnesbullets.com/images/6-5x55...shMauserWeb.pdf

ATB

Colin :P

Thanks for the link. I've looked at that but couldn't make much of it. I'm using RL19 in my loads, 45grns of it.

Do you remember where you read about the 50thou thing? I wouldn't mind reading any info I can find to be honest! They like a jump? I wonder why that is?

Thanks for the link. I've looked at that but couldn't make much of it. I'm using RL19 in my loads, 45grns of it.

Do you remember where you read about the 50thou thing? I wouldn't mind reading any info I can find to be honest! They like a jump? I wonder why that is?

http://www.barnesbullets.com/information/l...tsx-guidelines/

That's great, thanks. I found the info on the FAQ section of the site too so I've just been back to the bench and shoved them in another 20 thou. Seated at 3.170 now, which is still way over the min OAL stated for their weight.

Interestigly, with a .30 cal 150 grn TSX they are loaded the same length as a standard bullet of the same weight. However the max load is a grain less with the TSX? I have them with 45grns of RL19 under them, and the max load is 48grns. I'm happy that I've got it safe now.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it :P

Ive used Barnes TSX in several rifles (6.5, 7mm and .30)

ALL of them shot about 3/4 MOA when seated .040" to .050" off the lands.

The bullets are longer because copper is lighter than lead, so the amount of metal required to make the 130g bullet takes more space than a traditional lead core bullet.

I wouldnt worry unduly about OAL so long as the loaded rounds fit in your magazine.

Pressure - as always start any new bullet with 10% less than max charge, you will probably find that the TSX's shoot best at near max load.

Thats what I found with mine anyway.

Accuracy , I found that they were a little inconsistant, certainly accuracy potential was there, but close examination of bullets of all calibres I used showed imperfections in the swaging process.

No matter how carefully I selected bullets I always got two touching and one a little off (this was with all three rifles, that are sub half moa guns)

This does not inspire confidence for cold bore shots, so I now use other products for my deer.

Sorry to bearer of my own bad tidings.

I don't consider that to be bad news really. 3/4 moa is fine for me because I don't take long shots in the field. Anything past 200 yards is pretty safe with me because I'm a bit new to it to be trying to judge wind/drop accurately after that.

I have a lot of respect for you chaps who can hit an inch group at 300+ yards, but I'm nowhere near that level yet and will only ever attempt something that I can be 99% certain of a clean kill. That means keeping it close for now.

I tested the load yesterday. With three shots I was getting ragged holes every time at 50 yards, so I'm happy with that. I think this is the end of my load development at last!

They're some good looking animals you've got yourself there. Nice shooting.

By the look of the top two, the bullet has plenty of potential to stop large game. My 6.5 should be fine with the 130s for Deer I think.

I'm looking forward to my next Devon trip. Last time I went I hadn't found a great load for my rifle and my confidence was a little set back. I left a couple of shots that I would comfortably take now. I can see the freezer getting very full shortly!

What happens to them after they've been shot? Are they eaten by the locals (or yourself)? Some of them look to be pretty big!

I hope to go out and shoot abroad in the future. Is a trip like that easy enough to organise? I assume it's fairly costly?

Wow, that is impressive! That leg they had off is pretty huge isn't it. They're not going to go hungry for a while!

It's good to see it going to a good cause after it's been shot. Before I really got into shooting I used to doubt whether I agreed with safari shooting. I always pictured a bunch of toffs plodding off onto the plains with posh rifles, shooting whatever came along, but when you read into it a little it benefits the whole community out there. They get a good lump of our money for doing a job they'd need to do themselves, can't be bad!

Thanks for posting all the pictures, they really are interesting :lol:

It really does sound like a great place. I'll have to put it on my list of things to do before I'm old! The camp fire and living out doors sounds much better than going about it in the rich tourist manner. The shooting is only a small part of a holiday like that and it would be a shame not to see the place in more intimate detail.

Archived