Tracer rounds??

shrek

its it legal to used tracer rounds and if so how hard is it to get hold of them? just a random question that bumps about inside my head, surely some of you guys who shoot on the military ranges will know?

its it legal to used tracer rounds and if so how hard is it to get hold of them? just a random question that bumps about inside my head, surely some of you guys who shoot on the military ranges will know?

Hi Shrek,

I believe that it is not permitted to possess tracer rounds. If I remember correctly, the tracer component is Phosphorus and I wouldn't like any of that stuff in my barrels.

Peter

Hi Shrek

It is perfectly legal to hold tracer rounds and use them on range days.

I have purchased and used tracer on several range days at Sennybridge and its a real fun way to walk .308 rounds into the 1200metre target. We ask on every occassion whether we can use tracer as its the Armys decision based on weather and other factors of tracer can be used on that day.

The usual reason why tracer is not used is continued hot weather in which case the range will catch fire from the tracer, so use in and around any forestry commission is a definate no no.

cheers

GB

Good source for tracer is Peter Lawman in Northants.

He also does quite a bit of 50 cal stuff too.

Guest Tiff

Tracer is perfectly legal, particularly good fun in the 50's :P It's just a shame its not available in .338.

As an aside I can get hold of 1000's of kinetic pulled (no marks) cleaned and polished 7.62 RG tracer bullets for home loading at 11p each. The reason the surplus tracers are so inaccurate is there is a variation of upto 20 grains per bullet and they are covered in a bitumen tar!!! By weight batching the bullets, then reloading, my tracers shoot sub MOA to 600+.

Guest Tiff
And you put bitumen tar through your barrles????? :P:P Are you mad???

That's why I like the tracers I get. They are all cleaned/polished, hence no tar etc. Most military surplus rounds have a water-proofing agent on them. People never strip mil-surplus rounds so don't realize whats going down their tubes.....

Archived