any one got one? anschutz.222

do any of you folk out their have a anschutz model number 1740 dhb ,heavy barrel varmit rifle? if you do what do you think of them ?any opinion most welcome ,except from varminter,charly hunter.varmartin,onehole ,teach.and silent ,cause i know they dont have one!!!! so that just leaves the rest of you! only joshing boys , i have seen one and it looks a bit tasty and being an anie i suspect it just be able to do the buis!!! let me have your thoughts! :mad::);)B)

Hi Millpool,

A friend of mine had an Anschutz in .222 rem some years ago, not to sure what model it was though. Darrel (foxing2nite) will remember this rifle also, both of us considered purchasing it at the time. It was a real beauty to look at, with its high roll over cheek piece it looked stunning. It shot sub half inch groups all day long with his homeloads, some groups were well down in the low .3's. Trigger was a joy, 2 stage with a crisp let off.

Don't think you can go far wrong with an Anschutz, but don't rule out the sako's if your looking for a treble to put in your armory.

All the best,

Jay.

I had that model in Hornet and the one thing I really didn't care for was the rear locking lugs. Additionally, my Hornet had a very generous chamber that made reloading a pain. It did shoot OK, though not as good as a CZ. ~Andrew

Millpool

I just wanted to say I'm disappointed not to have been singled out for exclusion with the rest of the Cornish boys.

Cornishman

PS - since you asked I did have a close look at one of these the other day. It's built on the 54 action that has done so well in competition rifles. However these were in 22 LR and did not have to take centrefire pressures. I think I'm right in saying that 222 was the most powerful cartridge ever put into the 54 action and that you're best advised only using downloaded rounds. The locking is at the rear of the action with two vestigial lugs (that's small) so best not to stoke 'em up. The trigger is wonderful and even better if you pay an extra £60 and have the two-stage.

Archived