Internet Service Providers - Help please

English

Hi Guys,

As you know I live in Scotland but also spend time in England down at my folks, in part this is to help my dear old pop, since mum died, Ive a girlfiriend in the south and still do some shooting down there, so I need internet in Both Locations!

Until now I have just lived with "Dial up" from AOL, they keep hounding me about changing to Broadband. Anyway, today I made some enquiries because they have been sending out messages about upgrading their service and wanting me to change to broadband.

I pointed out that I do dial up which means I can connect from anywhere and its easy in England and Scotland?

I've just been told from the end of July you will only be able to connect via one location and other areas will be un-supported or you will have to have a Dial up account for each location you want to connect from which seems like madness to me?

Anyway it looks like AOL are getting the boot.

Bearing in mind I want internet in both Locations - what do I do now?

IVe been thinking about "mobile broadband" where you just plug a dongle into a USB or other port on the PC?

So as a user who doesn't know too much about computers?

What do you guys recommend?

for A broadband ISP or Mobile broadband?

Any ups or downs would be appreciated?

Thanks,

English

Go back to aol - they are giving away a free laptop for new broadband sign ups ( or a PS3 if you already have a laptop)

Dongle Modems are quite good, but are very slow ( but if your used to dail up, they will seem a lot quicker).

I have had Aol broadband since it came out and I can use it anywhere, you have a choice of home location or others, only prerequisite is a bt phone line. best way is via a laptop as you carry everything with you and you dont need someone elses broadband connected pc. As Tulky points out if you sign back up with aol via carphone warehouse you get the laptop free.

Redfox

Archived