lapua 90g fmj

lambsey

Quoting Vihtavouri guide :-

N150 - 23.3 grns @ 2346 fps - 32.8 grns max @ 2907 fps

N550 - 30.6 grns @ 2595 fps - 39.0 grns max @ 3146 fps

N160 - 31.1 grns @ 2605 fps - 40.9 grns max @ 3127 fps

My Sako 75 has a 1 in 10" twist and much prefers Hornadys 87 HPBT for 600 yard accuracy over the Lapua 90 FMJ.

However, the best accuracy i could glean from the Lapuas was using 38 grns of N160. The bullet is very length tolerant and accuracy remained good regardless of the OAL of the finished round.

Hope this helps...

Grant...

hi anybody got any good loads for these bullets in .243??

I haven't shot the Lapua but with 90grn Bergers and 43.5 grns of Viht 160 acccording to the chrono they make 2980fps and are superbly accurate.

Pete.

Quoting Vihtavouri guide :-

N150 - 23.3 grns @ 2346 fps - 32.8 grns max @ 2907 fps

N550 - 30.6 grns @ 2595 fps - 39.0 grns max @ 3146 fps

N160 - 31.1 grns @ 2605 fps - 40.9 grns max @ 3127 fps

My Sako 75 has a 1 in 10" twist and much prefers Hornadys 87 HPBT for 600 yard accuracy over the Lapua 90 FMJ.

However, the best accuracy i could glean from the Lapuas was using 38 grns of N160. The bullet is very length tolerant and accuracy remained good regardless of the OAL of the finished round.

Hope this helps...

Grant...

Grant , you're a bit mean with the powder, make the the jump up to around 42.5 grns+ and I'm sure you'll maintain accuracy and you'll be better equiped for 900yds.

Pete.

:o As for being mean with powder.... When i work up a load, i start from the powder makers min then work up till i have the best group at 100 yds.

Once the group starts to open, i back off to the previous load believing that to be the most accurate i'm going to get.

I realise that i could keep going higher with the load to see if the groups close up again but as i rarely shoot beyond 600 yds, i don't see the point.

On the rare occasion that i shoot at 1200 yds, i use my .308 that does a better job at that distance in a cross wind..

However Pete, never let it be said that i'm not open minded.. :P

The max i went to was 41 grains and the groups doubled in size. I'll keep going up in half grain increments to 43 grains ( pressure signs permitting ) to see if there is an improvement..

Thanks for the info.. :D

Grant..

:lol: As for being mean with powder.... When i work up a load, i start from the powder makers min then work up till i have the best group at 100 yds.

Once the group starts to open, i back off to the previous load believing that to be the most accurate i'm going to get.

I realise that i could keep going higher with the load to see if the groups close up again but as i rarely shoot beyond 600 yds, i don't see the point.

On the rare occasion that i shoot at 1200 yds, i use my .308 that does a better job at that distance in a cross wind..

However Pete, never let it be said that i'm not open minded.. ^_^

The max i went to was 41 grains and the groups doubled in size. I'll keep going up in half grain increments to 43 grains ( pressure signs permitting ) to see if there is an improvement..

Thanks for the info.. :)

Grant..

Only kidding about your meanness. I did the same as you and started low with good results but got told to stop farting about and start at 42.5 grns and work up till groups spread then drop back to the most accurate.

Been told the same thing with my AR15 when I'm loading 75grn A-Max, getting tremendous accuracy with just 21grns Viht 140.

Regards Pete.

Archived