New Zealand Thar

Apologies if I appear to be plagarizing others, but I thought this post from a hunter based in New Zealand would interest a few here.

None of the animals shot were taken at long range, which is why I have put it here, what is compelling, is the amount of hard work and determination these animals take to "get on".

Enjoy!

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1181105624

Now tell me you don't fancy a go!

Hi Andy

As I sit here at my computer this is looking down at me is this 13”5/8 bull Thar.

PIC00268.jpg

I did not realise how good a Thar it was until I was reading a book on the plane coming back to the UK, in it a NZ guy had been hunting 30 years and not got one bigger than one with 13” horns.

To be fair it was wasted on me as I would have been happy with any Thar the challenge is just getting to these fantastic animals, it would have been much better if a kiwi had shot it, he would of no doubt earn it more than my beginners luck.

If you think red stalking is hard this knocks it into a top hat if you do it fair chase the proper kiwi way. I am pretty fit by most standards but it was the hardessed hunting I have done. Hiking out we waded 18 river crossings up to our waist and it was minus 15c at night. All adds to the fun.

You can cheat and get helicoptered in above the Thar and then stalk down onto them but you have not really got your animal fair chase its OK for fatties.

If any you guys fancy a go at these wonderful animals contact me, or I will be at my mates stand at the CLA, (N.Z. Outfitters) as my mate runs tours out there. Atom no doubt will vouch for what a straight guy he is.

B-b (Or Thar on some other sites)

Apologies if I appear to be plagarizing others, but I thought this post from a hunter based in New Zealand would interest a few here.

None of the animals shot were taken at long range, which is why I have put it here, what is compelling, is the amount of hard work and determination these animals take to "get on".

Enjoy!

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1181105624

Now tell me you don't fancy a go!

That was a fantastic post i think i would have to get the fitness up a bit to have a go at that,from what i have seen of new zealand they have some great hunting , nice trophy as well bb

Guest 308Panther

Very Cool Topic Andy,

B-b that is one awesome mount.

Take it those would be the equivalent to our Mountain Goat??

Goat and Sheep huntin here is ALOT of hard work..Any trophy earned is a Good one.

308Panther

Take it those would be the equivalent to our Mountain Goat??

308Panther

Hi Panther

The Thar or Tahr as it is sometimes spelt are native of the Himalayas, they are a Mountain Goat and their body size is close to a Red stag but with short powerful legs. So they look smaller on the hoof. They are incredibly agile and can be seen running and jumping across all most shear rock faces. Large dominant bulls can it times be seen standing on prominent rocky out crops all most as if standing on guard surveying all below them.

They are endangered in there native country, the ones in New Zealand were introduced in 1907 and with no predators they have flourished. They are found pretty much up on the snow line most of time, the bulls grow a big long haired main in winter, and towards the end of the winter season this becomes belched a light sandy color by the sun. This is the time that most trophy hunter’s want to take there bulls.

In the rut the bulls if evenly matched will fight for hours at a time even taking short breathers in the fighting, this can fights can be to the death. The females are referred to a “nannies”.

Rifles for this hunting need to be chambered in a flat shooting and hard hitting caliber 270 as a min’. A 7mm or 30 cal magnums are popular choices. Like most mountain hunting you can be faced with long shots. You also need to try and pin them on the spot, as if they fall off a ledge they can smash there horns off in the fall if you are trophy hunting, or loose the animal if it should fall into a place that it is not possible to recover the animal from if you are hunting for meat. (Pretty similar to the Aussies in the first post) We lost a nanny that way when we were hunting, it went against the grain to just leave it and did upset me.

But as the guide pointed out 10 lost animals would not be worth the lost of one of our lives trying to climb down to it or out with the animal.

For this reason treat them as African plains game and try and “pin” them through the shoulders to anchor them were they are.

Hope that gives you a bit of a insight to these animals.

B-b

Guest Smeagle

You have the measure of them there critters, high on the shoulder with the .300 WSM. Knock em hard.

Anchoring shots. The numbers of Thar got right up there in NZ about the 6,000 mark which is a lot as they are pretty wide ranging and the ground has a low yeild and low loading capacity as it is so hard and barren. Since then the herd/stocks have been managed by the hunters at about 2,500 to 3,500 animals, so there still isn't small numbers but they are hard going and maybe one of the hardest trophies that you can get.

It does cut across the grain to leave something on the deck but down here they think nothing of it, there is more game to be had and its just not worth your life to get it. I also have to say that sometimes its the same with wounded animals, if you can you follow up but if you cant it is left unfortunately.

You don't climb down scree to recover or into a swamp in the NT, leave it and move on.

I think a any of the WSMs would make a good Thar rifle, you want the rifle to be as light as it can be for the climbing, but hard hitting to put them down.

The Brits view of hunting/stalking is a bit different to how some of the southern hemisphere hunters view things. But it is no good taking the attitude with you that British way is the best and only way to do things. You have to understand the environment that you are hunting in and make adjustments to that, even if it goes against everything you have been brought up with, the locals do it their way for a good reason.

I think learning how other societies hunt is part of the fun of hunting aboard.

B-b

Guest Smeagle

The Sako Finnlight in .300 wsm I have found to be ideal, mated with a NXS 3.5x15 by 50 makes the combination, you need the length in the scope for the environment and it has to be tough. As does the rifle it is a hard life up there and the synthetic stock is the only way to go realistically and the soft grip really helps with cold hands. A good sling is a must as is a good pack and bins.

It is certainly worth a look at and anyone who is tempted will do something outside the norm, it is a bit extreme at times but in terms of adventure it doesn't get much better, I love to hunt mountains and there is something about hunting in the snow that is just unreal. I might organise an expedition next year. Be warned it is not for the faint hearted, so if any of you pommy poofters fancy it let me know.

Guest 308Panther

Bustin shoulders is a must....

Especially on Goat,Sheep and Bear,Bison and Moose....and on mountain lions we just try to put them down in one.

Our goats and sheep love them craggy high places and ya dont want one droppin off a ledge or shelf either

And the ones that really want an adventure go after them w/ a bow...some guys even take up climbing so they

can use ropes and drop down and reclaim the animal.I bowhunt deer on an occaision but Goat or Sheep...

thats a little too far out for me.

Bear and Bison,Moose are too big,and dangerous to mess with...so with them its nail the shoulder and then finish....

Ya definatley dont want to mess up the first shot on a bear....trailin a wounded Brown,Griz or Kodiak is

abit on the hair raisin side and in some states a non resident must use a guide and if you mess up the first shot

ya didnt do your guide any favors.Cause HE is the one that is goin in after it.Shaggy coated critters dont leave a

good blood trail right away...and Griz will circle and stalk you.

Over here,at least,the guide represents the outfitter,and you the client dont do the outfitters any good if you get injured.

So the Guide goes in first...

308Panther

Guest Smeagle

Don't you just love the life of a guide.

I reckon they should make AR 10s in .458 lott.

Just for safety reasons of course.

Guest 308Panther

We got a semi famous Archer named Chuck Adams...You may have heard of him...Read a couple articles of his

and on one of his hunts he had to do the ropes just to get a shot and then more roads to claim the critter.

Sometimes wonder if he hasnt sniffed too much fletching glue...

A Black Rifle in 458 Lott??? Now that would be somethin!!!!...

Just keep the digits away from the port....I can see a few fingers gettin chambered instead

of the casing...

308Panther

The Sako Finnlight in .300 wsm I have found to be ideal, mated with a NXS 3.5x15 by 50 makes the combination, you need the length in the scope for the environment and it has to be tough. As does the rifle it is a hard life up there and the synthetic stock is the only way to go realistically and the soft grip really helps with cold hands. A good sling is a must as is a good pack and bins.

It is certainly worth a look at and anyone who is tempted will do something outside the norm, it is a bit extreme at times but in terms of adventure it doesn't get much better, I love to hunt mountains and there is something about hunting in the snow that is just unreal. I might organise an expedition next year. Be warned it is not for the faint hearted, so if any of you pommy poofters fancy it let me know.

I know of 2 pommy poofters who might just take you up on the offer, me being one of them! :D Just let me know when, where and how much, I reckon I will need to save some pennies. Nothing too lavish on the digs I hope. :lol:

Guest Smeagle

Digs, it will be a bivi bag mate, bloody pommy poofters expect a roof and everything.

Next you will be wanting hot food and dry clothes. :lol:

Guest 308Panther

"Next you will be wanting hot food and dry clothes. laugh.gif"

Would a proper Guiness and a pretty servin wench be to much to request?

And dont even think of strappin some kegs to a Camel... :lol:

308Panther

Digs, it will be a bivi bag mate, bloody pommy poofters expect a roof and everything.

Next you will be wanting hot food and dry clothes. :lol:

Bivi Bag?................................................................... luxuryyyyyy :D normally is is just a hole under a rock, you soft southerners sure know how to live it up. :D:D;)

B-b

Guest Smeagle

Hole in the rock...your lucky to have a hole under the rock we sleep on the top in a blizzard with nowt but our underpants. ;)

(if you don't believe me take a look at the new Swazi cattledog, there is a guide on top of the mountain in nothing but his jewel bags) brrrrrrrr. ;)

The bivi bags for the guest.

Archived