.222 Load Development

I picked up a lovely little Sako 75 recently in .222, the plan is to shorten it to 18" and use it as my carry/truck gun. It was described as nearly new with a very low round count and when it arrived I wasn't disappointed. Initial load development looks promising although Im running it slowly as it was to be more of a Hornet replacement than a full blow .222

post-13063-0-85002200-1445275337_thumb.jpg

Nice one Big Al,,,great little calibre,,,,,I,m on the same mission at the moment and looking for a 222/3 to chop down for something a bit handier than my leggy lumpy but lovely 6BR,s.....Had two sako 222,s in the past and with the 40 grainers I believe I favoured R7 and Vit 130,,,,probably worth a try especially when you shorten it? ,,,,,,,,,,,O

Nice one Big Al,,,great little calibre,,,,,I,m on the same mission at the moment and looking for a 222/3 to chop down for something a bit handier than my leggy lumpy but lovely 6BR,s.....Had two sako 222,s in the past and with the 40 grainers I believe I favoured R7 and Vit 130,,,,probably worth a try especially when you shorten it? ,,,,,,,,,,,O

I like Vit powders as I can get them locally and Ive always managed to get good results with them, I figured N130 or even N120 would be the best option but didn't fancy blowing £75 on a kilo until I had tried N133. After doing a bit more research this evening the Hornady manual gives loads using both Accurate 2230 and H335, both of which are very slightly slower than N133 and they max out around 25.5gr so I imagine Im well below max at the minute.

My barrel is currently 22.5" and I was hoping to go down to 18" so maybe I will need to go to a faster powder. Im not looking for a lightening bolt from this rifle, its more of a sub 250yd rifle so maybe this N133 load will still work? Now I just need to find the balls to get the hacksaw out! :blush:

Archived