6mmBR or 6PPC

There are a couple of factors kal, the main one being custom or of the shelf but also distance at what you want to shoot.

If you are going for a custom bulid then your only overiding factor will be range, want to engage targets at a bit of distance then it has to be a fast twist 6mmBR with heavy bullets.

Limit your shooting to 300m then 6mmPPC.

If you are going to choose an off the shelf then there is not much choice apart from Cooper who do both calibres but in slow twists for light bullets, you can specify a fast twist on ordering a Cooper but the premium is huge.

You mught be lucky and find a Sako 6mmPPC but they are dead rare and again slow twist barrels.

Ian.

Hi Kal

Glad to share what I have experienced in the past 02 years.

Both rifles 6 ppc and 6mmBR were build by Andrew of Riflecraft whom I like respect very much.

Have changed both to 6 x 47 and 6.5 x 47 for this season.

For Varminting in UK I would suggest realistic shots are between 100 - 300 yards'ish (of course there are longer shots but not often and not everyday)

6ppc I find very tempermantal i.e. group changes from week to week.

If shooter is not experience with handloading I can see it is so easy to blame other factors for loose groups.

I did not notice this variation until I spoke to a few canadian shooters who has 18+ years experience benchresting with ppc in their nationals

General consensus - 6ppc very tight groups out to 200 yards with 300 yards being max range for competitions.

6mmBR less tempermental with atmospheric fluctuation for some reason i.e. less variation from week to week and easily competitively on a regular basis out to 600 yards.

I have shot both calibers for 02 years at century and have now shifted to 6 and 6.5 x 47 lapua.

So far after 300 rounds of each my loads are stable, consistent and getting near 6mmBR capability out to 600 on century.

Have you consider a 30BR shooting 125 grain Nosler BT for varminting in UK?

There are a couple of factors kal, the main one being custom or of the shelf but also distance at what you want to shoot.

If you are going for a custom bulid then your only overiding factor will be range, want to engage targets at a bit of distance then it has to be a fast twist 6mmBR with heavy bullets.

Limit your shooting to 300m then 6mmPPC.

If you are going to choose an off the shelf then there is not much choice apart from Cooper who do both calibres but in slow twists for light bullets, you can specify a fast twist on ordering a Cooper but the premium is huge.

You mught be lucky and find a Sako 6mmPPC but they are dead rare and again slow twist barrels.

Ian.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

What twist rates are there in factory sticks as standard please?

Guest northernchris

Most factory sticks (6mmbr)will be 1-12" or 1-14". As Ian said Cooper arms do a fast twist version ,which i think Brain Fox has in stock.

There is that cheap ish PPC on Guntrader at present.

I spoke to my force about a 30BR five years ago, they would not give it to me for foxes let alone rabbits etc. How some UK guys get Whisperers I will never know (6BR necked up to .338 shooting subsonic loads through a moddy).

The US feeling on PPC is exactly as Vermincinerator has already stated, just depends how far you will need to go on a regualr basis. I can't in any way fault my PPC but if I were in the market for PPC or BR today I would go 12 twist BR, it's just that bit more versatile.

A

Hi Kal,

My sako 6mm ppc is a one in twelve twist,, They do shoot like demons though??

Rabbits foxes,, bloody fantastic,,, Good out to five hundred yards??? But i think that i would have to go for the 6br out of the two,,,

Long range capabilities are better,, and more choice of bullets!!!

But on the other hand a 6x 47 would be the best of the lot?????

Having seen the 6.5 47 shoot, the accuracy is certainly there!!!!

The trouble is that we are spoiled for choice!!!!!

Kal,,,, Money, Money money

Out of the 2 I would pick the 6BR, it is a superb performer right out to 1000yds and I personally feel is more flexible than a PPC. The other huge plus is you can buy quality Lapua brass off the shelf and go and enjoy without the hassle of having to form brass from .220 Russian. Before anyone mentions Sako factory brass for the 6ppc its like rocking horse pooh and it doesn't have the capacity of the Russian case.

Cheers

Dave

The thing that I did was to have a few shots with a 6mmbr and it opened my eyes mate :lol: , 6MMBR did a bunny at 850 the other day and I just missed one at 910 ;) ,

Its not a hot round and not to much powder compaired to my 243 but it is a different animal , I have had a go with a friends 6ppc but all the case prep just seems to much hastle when you can get off the shelf stuff for something so similar.

Go 6br/6br norma preferably with an 8 twist if you want to go beyond say 400 yards.The PPC is limited and relatively rare here in UK and beyond 300 yds its bigger brother and bullet choice will outperform.The PPC is a dream to shoot up to 300/350 and maybe a good bit more if you are a one rifle man and know it inside out but bc is key in excess of these ranges and you just have to go a step up or more.

If you are talking tight groups then by my own experience with the 1/12,1/14 PPC or 6BR in same format is difficult to make a judgement at ranges out to 300/350.Beyond that to most it is a very long way away and you will need all the help you can get and that comes in the form of 87g vmax,90/95g bergers,105amax etc and the 6br suitably twisted and throated will get you to 600 and more and more in the right hands.Have I convinced you???Best of luck anyway its all good fun and to be honest most targets present themselves in the maximum region of 0 to 3/400 so take your pick.Cheers onehole.

Archived