Hardly technical

out of possibly thousands and thousands of lubes/greases/oils etc made for a huge variety of uses I always turn to automotive industry for my gun needs

why???? well billions of pounds and dollars are spent in their development and they under go stringent tests and the gun industry, well how can they possibly compete????

your car is protected by oils that have to do their job with metal to metal parts moving an un-calculable amount of times throughout their life ie: cylinders, pistons etc etc etc etc ( any pro's out there that could tell me and estimated amount of times a piston moves in say a 10 mile trip????????????????????????????)

STP is great for trigger sears, bolt lugs and any other metal on metal usage, just the tiniest amount is needed to do its job, buy some for your car, pop it in the engine and the leftovers in a can/bottle are more than enough to last about a year ( I strain mine off over an hour or so into a film canister pot and it normally fills it)

on sears I use a pin to apply a tiny bit and the bolt lugs I use a cotton wool bud to apply the smallest amount on the back of the lugs

I use clean engine oil on a cloth to wipe down my guns as these are designed to stick to the metal parts of a car and give it protection

wipe over the bolt with the oil cloth, I use a lens cloth from spec savers etc and have it lightly soaked in oil (not dripping), it gets put in a small seal it bag for storage

there are normally small holes in the bolt to allow oiling of the spring and firing pin and these require a thin oil and only a very little so don't spray the Shi'ite out of it, just a little if it appears dry

In ignorance I always used standard Napier Gun Oil for many years with no probs but for the last few years I have used proper bolt grease from Sinclair etc. Just a smear on the rear of the lugs and a bit at the handle end. Does not seem any better than gun oil though.

A

Archived