ok a bit late I know and I need a kick up the backside sometimes but as promised here is what I use for chamber cleaning

firstly the jag is carefully cut down the middle with a 1mm slitting disc and a steady hand, then the folding of one sheet of bounty

fold one sheet in half neatly, then fold the open corners in again to form a square, have the two folde ends one toward your body and the other in your right hand with thumbs in the midle of each hand so open loose sides are in left hand and away from body

fold this in half toward you and you end up with about 4" x 2", now cut using scissers up both sides of the 4" sides to leave you with 8" x 2" with fold lines in the middle

insert the open patch into the jag split using the fold line as a guide to keeping it central and leave a small amount hanging out the end of the jag so it gets covered by folding and this a) protects the bore ;) it squashes down the bore and mops it out a little

I use these for a) cleaning the tetra or kg out of the chamber after cleaning before washing out with 009 and :D cleaning out the 009 to dry the chamber

If I want to clean the lugs area out then I split one of the 8"x 4" down to 4" x 2", fold that long ways and then fold again, insert in jag and you can guess the rest

DSCF3088.jpg

DSCF3085.jpg

DSCF3084.jpg

DSCF3089.jpg

DSCF3091.jpg

yes thanks mate, I got up and on it as soon as I could and talked them into not putting the longer lasting cast on after they cut the temp one off

it still hurts everyday and swells up by the evening but I get out shooting and back to work earning the pennys

I have tried all sorts of cheaper kitchen towel but bounty is well above the rest for its toughness and absorbancy

Nice tip thanks Jamie.

I was going to buy one, might not bother now as this seems to do it just as well. Anybody got any thoughts against a bought item, advantages or disadvantages. Me being a tight wad :D:D

What an excellent idea, Silent. I shall set to with my trusty Dremel and make one. I have always struggled with chamber cleaning and this has solved the problem.

On similar lines, I have, for many years, used toilet paper instead of 4X2 for bore cleaning. It's strong (it has to be) and absorbent. A standard sheet is about 4X4.

I take a single sheet and cut it across (the same orientation as the perforations) into 2 strips. These are near enough 4X2. One strip, when wound around the appropriate Parker Hale jag, seem to fit nicely, whatever bore is being cleaned. If the strip does not fit to your satisfaction, cut the paper the other way(along the length).

BTW for you engineering types out there, does anyone know what threads Parker Hale use on their cleaning rods?. It's something exotic and unobtainable, I'll bet.

I have some American jags and brushes(don't remember the name) which need an adaptor to fit P/H rods, does anyone know those threads also?

Archived