Sauer 404 - anyone got one? Thoughts

Thinking of getting a Sauer 404 - hunting and target (in that order)

It is a hell of a lot of money! Is it worth it?

Also looking at the 101 for the size and weight

The 404 attracts me cause of the ability to change to 375 which I also have a slot for (though do not need it at mo as the work I was expecting to get up is on hold for the moment)

Not really interested in the '' I prefer .... '' or ''What you need is .....''

Just pros and cons v equivalent cost rifles/options.

Tin hat pulled on tight - over to you

J

John,

I can't comment on the 404 but I have owned a 202 from new and it's been excellent. Quality is never cheap but remains long after the cost is forgotten....

I like the look of the safety on the 404.

I've owned/used a Sauer switch-barrel rifle for 26 years - well built, extremely accurate, the switch-barrel system works. However, it's an awful lot of money - In my opinion it's the ultimate switch-barrel.

I don't have a 404 but given the funds (which I don't have), I'd buy one straight away.

John, this 404 topic had a short,perhaps informative, discussion post "Sauer 404" starting April 26 this year,if you haven't seen it.

I considered a 202 recently-a classic,solid,quality rifle-made beautifully well from wood and steel.Accuracy was good as a stalker by factory/ammo standards, Maybe a little heavy-as a carry rifle in 22 cf,more acceptable with a larger cartridge. NIce to have,but performance in the field alone unlikely to justify a premium price tag way above very competent upper mid class rifles like Sako.

gbal

Mmm

Thanks everyone for your comments

Gbal - I'll look for the April post

Seems little doubt that the Sauer is a quality product - but twice as good as its rivals?

Appreciate every ones thoughts

J

Switch-barrel rifles are now commonplace, yet it amazes me how any people have multiples of the same rifle rather than extra barrels - I heard someone bragging about his three Sauer 202s recently.

I've owned my Sauer 200 (yes, the original mid-80s predecessor to the 202) since 1988, with .243/.308 barrels - it simply works and is ultra reliable and very accurate.

There are currently switch-barrel rifles from these makers and possibly more:

• Sauer
  • Mauser (incl. the Mauser 66 from the mid-60s)
  • Blaser
  • Strasser
  • Bergara
  • Accuracy International
  • Desert Tech
  • Merkel
  • and others
I'm sure all of these work, but I haven't shot them all. What I do know is that Sauer swith-barrel rifle simply work, that's all you need to know. Like all rifles there have been a few issues - especially warped forends - but these are few and far between, and haven't affected me.

e1c0862ec9eb8b6418b77fa776b292f0.jpg

Here's my 1988 Sauer 200 which has a custom stock. It is now fitted with a Swarovski Z6 3-18x50BT L scope. The photo was taken on the 600yd point at Glen Tilt, Blair Atholl last year.

Again - I'd love a Sauer 404.

• 3 weeks later...

I have shot them all and had the 404 back in June on test. It's very nice and a definite update on the 202 with a faster switch barrel setup, tool integrated into the sling swivel etc. but to me, the 4 way adjustable trigger for weight of pull is a simplistic piece of candy for those with issues and you need to set it on at least stage three to get any kind of feel out of it, its not as good as the 101 or 202 trigger. The de-cocker is a nice safety feature but proprietary scope mounts are a very obvious step towards keeping the `family` close to hand, they don't like competition and Weaver/Picatinny is so much simpler, versatile and cheaper to provide for. Whether it was the gun or ammunition supplied but I didn't like the way it felt to shoot compared to the 101/202 in similar stocks/calibres on previous occasions, it was very `snappy` (Synchro XT if I remember rightly). I'd have a 101 and a decent scope personally, and a second 101 with a 375 suitable scope setup alongside it. Oh, and the bolt is tighter, it jammed a lot more often feeding in the sandy environment we shot in, more so than the 101 or 202.

Looks nice though.

Archived